Chapter Twenty Three | Forests In The Dark

The next morning I woke up with Corbyn by my side. No, nothing happened between us, we literally just fell asleep. It was about ten am and I remembered that it was my brothers birthday today. He was turning twenty one and my parents had organised to throw him a surprise party tonight.

That meant that we needed to keep him out of the house for the whole day... great.

I rolled over in my covers to grab my phone. Corbyn who was now half awake, rests his arm over me and snuggles his head into the back of my neck. I smile at how cute he was before seeing a message from my mom telling me the plans for today.

Mom: morning kels :) Today your dad and I are keeping Mason busy for awhile before he goes to his girlfriends house till the party starts. I need you and Corbyn to set up as much as you can during the day since Dad and I are going to be cooking the food and getting other things sorted. Thanks honey xx

I click my phone off and turn my head to Corbyn. "Hey... wake up." I whisper. He groans and slowly opens one eye.

"Mmm?" He mumbles.

"We need to set up for tonight." I say.

Corbyn nods sitting up revealing his bare chest and running a hand through his messy hair. "Okay, what first?"

I hop out of bed with a little spring in my step. I don't know why, but the whole party situation was getting me really hyped up and energetic. Maybe it was because I haven't been or had a party in ages.

"Well, first we need to clear up the kitchen because it's a mess." I say. He nods getting out of bed and putting on a white t-shirt and leaving his pyjama pants on. I go to my drawers and take out white strap singlet, some black leggings and a faded pink jersey.

Corbyn and I go to the kitchen and see that there was just a few stuff on the counter that could be cleared away. There was also a few pictures of Mason when he was little with a note beside it. The note told us to hang them around the house. I shrug and gather the photos up.

My Bluetooth speaker was on the counter, so I switched it on and hit shuffle. The song You'll Always Find Your Way Back Home by Hannah Montana comes on and Corbyn raises an eyebrow at me.

"Hannah Montana?" He asks with a little laugh. I nod singing to the words.

"You wake up. It's raining and it's Monday. Looks like one of those rough days." I sing while skipping out of the kitchen in time to the song before jumping on the couch in the living room. "When the lights go down, it's the ending of the show. And you're feeling like you got nowhere to go. Don't you know?" I cheer rushing to Corbyn for the chorus. I take his hands in mine and pull him on the couch beside me.

"You can change your hair, and you can change your clothes. You can change your mind, that's just the way it goes. You can say goodbye and you can say hello. But you'll always find your way back home!" I sing jumping around like a complete idiot.

-/-/-

It was around four thirty pm once Corbyn and I had finally set up the house. It was clean and had twenty first decorations everywhere. Mom and dad were now back at home and they had brought back heaps and heaps of food. There was soda, alcohol, chips, dip, breadsticks, cake, candy and loads more.

"Thanks you two for setting up today. I really appreciate it." Mom says placing the food on the counter.

"No problem." I smile with Corbyn beside me.

"When is everyone arriving?" Corbyn asks.

Mom hums putting the soda in the fridge and looking at her watch. "Umm well if it's half past four now... people could start turning up in an hour or so. I'd get yourselves ready. Karman is coming over soon to help with the finishing touches. I'm pretty sure she wants to doll you up as well, Kels." Mom explains.