[Chapter 17:] Trouble and A New Friend

—— Frisk POV ——

I followed Alphys with Flowey in my hands as the lizard lead us towards a small door in her old lab. Dust covered the bare tables as well as multiple cobwebs in the dark room.

"T-The power isn't working in the underground because the core was shut down." Alphys had explained to me. "That i-is why we brought f-flashlights."

She pressed a few buttons before the old door gave out a low creaking sound and opened a bit. The lizard then took a flashlight out of her back pocket before stepping inside. I remember this place. The true lab wasn't my favorite place in the underground but if it meant bringing my friends back to life, I would go. Alphys took a few steps away from me and looked around the dark space, perhaps making sure that it was safe. I could tell that she didn't want to be here either. She sighed and faced me.

"C-come on, we don't have much time." She said as she beckoned me to follow her. Cautiously, I followed close behind, hunched over and eyes darting side to side. Chara looked nervous as well as they dragged behind me. I'm not so sure that this was such a great idea anymore.

Alphys lead us down a long hallway with a bunch of twists and turns before we reached a room full of empty beds. The sheets were unmade and a mist of grey clouded the floor. The only light was casted from the eerie glow of the blinking ceiling lights. This seemed like something straight out of a horror movie.

The lizard weaved through the rows of beds as I followed cautiously behind. At least she seemed to know where she was going. Alphys lead us through another set of hallways before we reached an old lab room. The desk in the corner of the room was littered with dusty papers in a weird handwriting and a bunch of broken pencils. Another desk next to that one had a bunch of broken test tubes with weird glowing liquids inside of them. Across from that were two sinks and another hallway. I shivered. The last thing that I wanted to do is get lost in a creepy old lab like this one.

"S-Start looking through the papers. It should b-be titled DETERMINATION." Alphys told me and I nodded. Chara floated behind me as I made my way over to the desk cluttered with dusty papers. I cleared an empty space on the table before putting Flowey down and starting my search. Alphys watched me for a second before hesitating and going into the next room. I sighed as I stared at the messy handwriting that I couldn't make out. It seemed to be written in some form of different language or font. Strange. This made my task a lot harder as I cluelessly sifted through each paper, making it look like I was looking when I really wasn't.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" Chara asked me, crossing their arms. I just shrugged. All of a sudden Alphys came back with a handful of papers and placed them on the desk. She had the look of excitement but worry in her face. I wonder why?

"Did you find it?" I asked the worry-strickened lizard as she sighed.

"N-No.. but I did find something else.." She looked up with a nervous smile on her face and I felt a shiver run down my back. She was starting to get me a little scared. Seeing the panic on my face, Alphys quickly finished her sentence.

"S-Something good d-don't worry!" She smiled before mumbling under her breath "... I hope."

I gulped. Something about this didn't seem right. I looked at Chara, floating carelessly behind me but they just shrugged. Alphys started to walk off before turning around to look at me.