[Chapter 2:] Phonecall

---- Sans POV ----

~ Meanwhile ~

It's been a few months since we left the underground and the humans have been pretty much avoiding us. I mean, there is a lot of tension between the two races. I barely see any humans, unless I'm going to the store or something. They always give me these weird looks, especially the older ones. What? Are they afraid I'm going to attack them or something? Heh. Most of the monsters have settled in and stuff. They seem to be coping well with the humans and pretty much getting along. But the one thing I don't get about the surface is Asgore. I don't know why but the guy just seems to hate m\y guts. We used to be somewhat friends, back when I was a sentry in Snowdin. But after that he just kept giving me these weird glares. I don't really get it.

I looked into a puddle that was by my feet. I was walking home after taking Paps, my younger brother to visit Mettaton. I didn't stay, since there was no need for me to. Besides, I didn't feel very welcome. Walking around the puddle with my hands in my jacket pockets, I continued onward towards home. It's raining, so I was glad to always wear my winter coat. One time, Toriel asked me why I do. I just shrugged and told her that it was comfortable. I'm really too lazy. I tried to avoid as many puddles as I could as I made my way down the road. Then, out of nowhere I saw him; Asgore. He was walking towards me, his hands at his sides. His posture was similar to mine; bent over with his head lowered. He was wearing casual clothing that was soaked by the rain. I pulled my hood farther over my face but I knew it was no good. He had already saw me.

     I waited until he reached me, sweating a little despite how cold it was. He was giving me that look again, and I got nervous. Slowly, I breathed out and managed to smile.

"Sup Asgore." I waved my hand in a small gesture. He stopped in front of me, just staring. All of a sudden, he smiled too.

"Hello Sans." He replied, wiping the rain off his forehead. "How are you enjoying the surface?"

"Heh, it's been pretty good so far." I picked my words carefully. I don't want to get on Asgore's bad side again. "How about you?"

"It has been excellent for me as well." I wouldn't meet his gaze. " I just wish that Toriel would pick up her phone ..."
He sighed as I flinched at the mention of her name. I haven't seen Tori ever since we left the underground. I wonder how she's doing? I rocked backward onto my heels, trying to think of something to say.

"Hey don't worry Az, I'm sure she'll come around." I tried to be positive towards him, but deep down I could feel that a small part of me was starting go get a little jealous. I started feeling a small guilt rise up in me but I shook it off. Why was I feeling this way?  She deserves a guy like him. I'm just a skeleton. I tried to tell myself. Slowly, I pushed the thought away as he chuckled.

     "Hehe, maybe you're right." He patted me hard on the shoulder and I flinched. Slowly, I plastered a smile onto my face. I hated how awkward this was. We stood there for what seemed like forever in an awkward silence until I heard Asgore's phone ring a funny tune. Must be his theme song. Slowly he picked it up, and and a small part of me hoped that it wasn't Tori. I felt the guilt again.

"Hello?.......... Yes this is he,.......... oh really?.......... mhmmm............. mhmm I see........ ok..." I rocked back and forth on my heels, waiting for the call to be over.

"....... Thank you! ...... Bye!" He hung up and chuckled.

"Don't mind me for asking but who was that?" I asked him. I secretly hoped that we would become closer friends like we had in the past, despite his weird glares. We always would talk. I hate holding grudges against people and he did know my dad after all.