[Chapter 8:] Secrets

---- Toriel POV ----

• Meanwhile •

     "Hello Toriel. " Asgore greeted me as I sat down. I forced a smile on my face.

     "Hello.. Asgore."

I stared at the ice cubes in a glass of water that was already on the table, careful not to meet his eyes. I could feel them burning into my fur.

     "So.. how have you been?" He asked, and I looked up to see a phony smile on his face.

     "I have been fine.. and you?" I returned the smile only for it to fade a few seconds later. Asgore kept looking at me, smiling like nothing ever happened between us. Like he never murdered anyone. Like I never divorced him. I returned to staring into my water and swirling the cubes around with a straw.

     "I'm good. Though, I have missed you."

I stopped swirling. Missed me? I cannot believe him. After all we've been through he wants me back. Like everything that happened was just a dream. That must have be why he asked me here. I better tell him off before this goes any further. But what if I do and Sans doesn't have feelings for me. No, I know he doesn't. Does he? I don't want to ruin our friendship.. Whatever happens, I still have Frisk, and my child is all I need.

     "Asgore I-"
     "Tori I- " We said in unison. Asgore cleared his throat.

      "You go first."

I shook my head. "No, you may go first."

He sighed. "Ok, so you know how you want a job as a teacher?"

I looked at him, confused. "Yes, but why does thi-"

     "I've got you a job." He interrupted. My heart jumped. Got me a job!? Oh no I can't tell him off now! For that would be too rude. Oh gosh what am I going to do? I couldn't contain my joy and smiled brightly.

"Oh Asgore thank you! You don't know how much this means to me!"

He smiled back at me before we awkwardly turned back to our waters. All of a sudden a human waiter came to our table and served us an appetizer. It was a few loaves of bread and some butter. Hm, I did not know that Muffet hired humans. We both ordered tea before Asgore thanked the waiter and he left. The large goat started to eat a piece of bread.

     "So," he paused to chew. "What were you going to say?"

Beads of sweat started to fall down my face. What should I say? I thought for a moment, staring into my water.

     "I-uh. Um- wanted to ask.." I paused again, and I looked up to see him watching me intently.

     "Yes Toriel?"

     "...Do you regret killing those children back in the underground?"

That all I could think of at the moment. I watched him, and he didn't hesitate before responding.

      "Yes. Every single day."

I paused to take a bite of bread as he continued.