[Chapter 15:] Denial

---- ??? POV ----

I paced around the park, getting a little anxious. It was almost dark out already and deathly quiet. I sighed and checked my messages again, reading over the one that I had sent. Maybe I was being a little too harsh? I mean I would never try and hurt someone on purpose. Especially not Papyrus. But sometimes my anger becomes too great and I loose control over my actions. That is why my wife left me, at least. She wanted to spare every soul because she believed that not every human
was bad. But I was still angry that humans killed our children, so we argued. After I killed the second child that fell down, she left me. It was a mistake that I wish I could redo. Maybe we would still be together?

I sat down on a bench and leaned on the railing. I looked up and sighed. No stars have begun to shine yet in the deep red sky. I remember back in the underground when I longed to see this sky, yet I was too much of a coward to do the most reasonable thing. I wanted to do what was best but.. I found that I couldn't. Maybe my ex-wife was right about me being a selfish coward.

I sighed, looking back down at my phone. It was almost 4:30, meaning that Sans would be here soon. The last few times that we have met up with each other I have been angry. Sans has only seen my calm side a few times. He must think that I am a horrible person... and maybe I am. I don't even know anymore. I wish I could redo all of the harm that I have caused.. but I guess there is no going back.

Suddenly, I saw a small shadow moving among the bushes. I stood up as a short skeleton limped into view. He stopped just a few feet in front of me, not making a sound. He sighed as he realized who I was but I just stared at him; mostly in shock. I didn't realize that I had hurt him so badly.

     "I should have known that it was you, Asgore." He said softly. There were dark circles under his eye sockets and he still had a bandage around his torso. He looked as if he would fall over even with the slightest touch. I looked down and sighed.

       "Sans.. I-I'm sorry.." I said quietly. "I didn't mean for any of this to happen." I looked up at him and to my surprise, he looked upset.

       "Didn't mean anything?" Sans said, almost bitterly. "You threatened to kill my brother. How is that nothing?!"

I didn't respond for a second.

       "I was angry when I said those things.. you know I would never hurt someone on purpose, right?" I said, raising my voice a little. Sans just shook his head as a tear ran down his face.

       "I don't believe you anymore." was all that he said. More silence followed his words as I looked down, too ashamed to look at him.

       "Sans I would never hurt your brother. I just wanted to talk to you."

The skeleton shoved his hands into his pockets, trying to keep his cool. But I could tell that he was secretly terrified and nervous by the way that he rocked back and forth on his heels. I couldn't blame him.

       "Heh. You could have said that rather than threatening me." He clenched his teeth together as he wiped his face. His fake smile wasn't convincing.

       "Look.. the only reason why I would say those things is out of anger. Sometimes I can't control it." I explained. Sans sighed.

     "That's no reason to hurt the innocent. " He retorted as he pulled his hood over his head. A memory of Toriel saying almost the exact same thing flashed in my mind and I grit my teeth together.