Chapter Four

2nd week

After what Abby told me about the story behind Muntaseer Muhammad you will think I'll change my attitude towards him right ? I'll start being nice to him and look at him as a son of my Abby's savior. The stark opposite is what I'm doing right now , my hatred increased. The mere sight of him turns my mood sour , it baffles everyone around us that I hate someone with a sweet soul like Muntaseer.

Going to and from school have become like hell to me , I will be super uncomfortable and mean to him while he will disregard me and pretend as if I'm not in existence .Simran had tried her best but to no avail so she let me be.

I'm currently now sitting under a shade reading a power point getting ready for test when I heard a soft voice saying " Assalamu Alaikum Manal " I turned my attention towards the owner of the voice and I saw that it's one of my course mates whom I've never talked to or even bother to waive at despite the fact that whenever she sees me she'll try to smile at me which I never return or make an effort to communicate which I pretend not to notice.

" Wa alaikissalam"  I answered sounding uninterested in whatever she comes to tell me.

She nervously fidgets with her fingers and eventually summoned the courage to speak further " Ahm Manal please if you don't mind I want us to be friends.  I know I'm not as influential as you're but I've been admiring you right from our first year , the way you carry yourself with dignity and poise and the way you never mingle with bad company and you always ace in your studies " she finally said in one breath as if she's afraid when she talks slowly she might forget what she had revised over and over and over again to tell me whenever she gets the chance .

I wanted to shout at her , so desperately its like a lump in my throat ...but its high time I add a friend to our circle besides now that Simran is siding with that Muntaseer I can't wait to have a friend whom I'll hold on to when Simran  choose to be on the enemy side.

I smiled up at her and patted a space beside me gesturing for her to sit " Alright its not a problem what's your name by the way ? " I asked 

" I'm Hauwa Sani but you can call me Jiddah " she beams at me

" Nice name Jiddah " I said  turning my attention to the power point  I was reading before she came

." Now that I'm getting to know you , you're not actually that bad  compared to what people are saying about you " she observed looking at me with a smile .I smiled back and shook my head telling her that people can judge but who cares what they think ? she laughs and said no one my dear no one. She started making small conversation and we get to know each other better, she is an only child too , lost her mom at a tender age , loves writing , loves colors and is a bookaholic . To be honest I kind of like Jiddah.

Later on Simran joined us and her being nicer than I am immediately bond with Jiddah and even snapped us some selfies and posted them on IG tagging us. After classes we exchanged phone numbers and promised to call each other since it is  Friday .

*

On our way home Muntaseer as usual asked me how my day was as he usually does and I inaudibly answered " it was okay Alhamdulillah " not minding whether he heard me or not .

He cleared his throat and started " Manal I don't know what I have done to deserve such a cold treatment from you , whatever it is please do tell me and if you can't I'm apologizing please forgive me , I know it's not easy when a total stranger suddenly comes into your life and your parents start sharing everything you always have to yourself with that person .I am sorry Manal can we be civil with each other please? " he pleaded waiting for me to give him an answer when it seems like I am not going to answer him , he just sighed and dialed a number handing me the phone mouthing 'its umma ' I took the phone and greeted the sweet woman on the other end
" Assalamu Alaikum " on the other side a sweet female version of Muntaseer's voice answers with " wa'alaikissalam my daughter how have you been ?! finally I got to talk to you " I smiled as if she can see me and replied with " Alhamdulillah Ma hope you too "