Chapter 12

Tess let her fingers trace along one of the more pronounced scars on Luke's chest. God only knows what couldn't caused it, and half of her didn't want to know. But if she were honest with herself, she really did want to know what had happened to him.

A warm hand covered hers and she looked up to his eyes. They didn't hold what they once did. The happiness was replaced with deep sorrow. It created a hole inside her that ran deep, she wanted to fix what ever was wrong. "Kitty..... there is something I need to tell you." His voice told her the opposite of what he had said. In his voice she could see he didn't want to talk about it.

He sat up and turned from her- his legs hung over the edge of the bed and he rubbed his hands over his face. It felt as if her heart was plummeting farther and farther down. She sat up and held the sheets around her chest to cover herself. She saw the scars that also covered parts of his back. It was horrifying to think of what caused them. She was scared of what was going on, she feared losing the man she was falling for. She placed a hand on his shoulder softly and he flinched. "What is it Luke? Tell me... please." He was silent for a moment before saying anything.

"I know you see them, and I know you feel them too. They're hideous- it's disgusting. You can't tell me they aren't." His voice was filled with nothing but pain and it killed Tessa. She scooted over to him and wrapped her arms around him -placing a tender kiss on his shoulder. "It doesn't matter to me. They are just another part of you, and I don't see you any different because of them."

He tensed and shook his head. "No. You can't say that, cause it can't possibly be true. You can't say you don't look at me different. How could you not? Tessa look at them!" His shout at the end made her break inside. She dropped her arms from him and dropped her gaze to look at the matress underneath her.

"Tessa I'm more broken then I am alive..... No one wants something that is broken.. No one." Tears escaped her eyes. How could he say that? She didn't understand how he could hurt her so much with that simple statement. But it broke her heart somehow.

"No Luke. You're wrong. Cause' I do, I want You! Don't you see, you idiot!? I love you." The words that left her shocked even her. But they were true. She did love him, and how she could didn't make sense, but she did somehow. Luke lifted his head and turned around. Their eyes met almost right away, his searched hers for a second. But then he grabbed her neck and brought her head to his. His lips met hers softly and she loved it.

When his lips left her he kept her face close to his -their foreheads rested against each others and their noses touched. His hand swept some hair from her face and then caressed her cheek. The warmth left his hand and filled her cheeks. This had probably been the most sincere moment they had shared their entire time together.

"How can you love someone so f*cked up as me?" The lopsided smile on his face told her that he was happy to hear her statement. She giggled and brushed his lips with hers again - "I guess I'm just an amazing person." He chuckled and traced circles with his thumb on her cheek. "You truly are, kitty."

Somehow that nickname had become so dear to her heart. When it left his lips it made her happy inside. Love was certainly turning her into a lovestruck idiot. She smiled at that realisation. Because it really didn't matter, she loved him. That's the only thing that mattered to her anymore.

"Kitty. The scars.." Luke let out a chaste breath. She took both of his hands in hers and rubbed circles on them with her thumbs. "Its okay. Go on, I'm not going anywhere." She tried to calm him.

"My father abused me and my mother. It was a nightmare everyday. My mother's screaming still haunts me some nights. Tess, I would come down stairs and he would have her against the wall hitting her. But I couldn't do anything to stop it. When I tried he would beat the sh*t out of me. And this went on day in and day out."