22 | confidence

Michael walked into school the next day with his head held high, his hand laced with Luke's, and confidence shining in his eyes. Luke was right beside him, squeezing his hand gently with a proud smile, he was overwhelmingly amazed that he got to walk beside the pink haired boy. As they were approaching Michael's locker there was a familiar tan boy standing beside it with a nervous look on his face. Luke turned to Michael and gave him a wary expression.

"We can go a different way" Luke said. Michael shook his head, looking up at Luke with that confident smile that he only recently acquired.

"It's okay. I knew I'd eventually have to face him, and as long as you hold my hand I think I'll be okay" Michael replied. Luke smiled down at the boy, he couldn't believe how much this boy has grown since he gave him that first peach rose. Luke was so proud of him 

"I'll always be there to hold your hand baby" Luke assured, squeezing Michael's hand as a promise. Michael inhaled a deep, shaky breath as the two finally stepped in front of his locker, grabbing the tan boy's attention. Calum turned to face Michael and opened his mouth, looking helpless as he tried to figure out what to say.

"What do you want Calum?" Michael asked. The question wasn't harsh, or laced with past anger, it was simple, harmless. Calum sighed, looking down  at his shuffling feet before looking back up.

"In the 9th grade I lost someone really important to me" Calum spoke timidly, trying to compose himself as he stared at Michael. "There was a really amazing boy that I knew and I took him for granted. He was the best friend I ever had but he felt more for me than I felt for him and when he told me how he felt I completely tore him down because I was an idiot and I was scared." luke squeezed Michael's hand softly, watching the two stare at each other. "I became friends with a bunch of douche bags and I let them get into my head. I listened to them when I should have listened to my heart. I should have told that amazing boy that I didn't feel the same way but I loved him so much as my friend that I hoped we could make it work. I know you have every right not to forgive me and never to speak to me again, but I needed you to know that losing my best friend three years ago was the worst thing that has ever happened to me and I am so sorry" By the time Calum finished there were tears in both of their eyes and the school bell had rang for first period. No one dared to move as all of the students walked to their classes.

"What you said to me that day changed the way I lived Calum. I hated myself because of what you said" tears fell from Calum's bloodshot eyes as he nodded.

"I am so sorry that I did that to you Mikey. You were the best person that I knew, you still are" Calum's voice was strained now.

"Mikey, we're late to class" luke said softly. Michael nodded, breathing in heavily as he looked at Calum again.

"It's been three years Cal, I can't forgive you for what you did" Calum's heart fell, his body weakening. "But I can get over it and maybe we can hang out sometime" Calum's head popped up, a smile making its way into his tear stained face.

"Yeah. Yeah I'd love that" he nodded. Michael smiled, patting Calum's shoulder before turning to Luke. He wrapped his arms around Luke's waist, cuddling his face into his side as they started walking to class.

"I'm proud of you" Luke said as he wrapped his arm around Michael's shoulders. Michael smiled to himself, a warm, fuzzy feeling settling in his stomach for the rest of the day.