Pepper. . .

"Eva your late, again," My boss Rob told me.

"I'm so sorry I got held up at school!" I apologized while quickly putting on the work apron.

"Of course you did, table seven needs cleaning, table nine needs more drink, and table twelve needs their food."

I nodded my head and got to work.

"Hi, my names Evangeline and I will be helping you today, what can I get you drink?" I put on my usual smile and started copying down orders. I got table nine there drinks, table ten there food and cleaned table seven.

A few more people came and left, by ten o'clock I was worn out. After school shifts were not the best idea, but hey it got me out of the house, and a bit more money, even if I didn't need it. Usually by this time it's pretty quiet so I sat down in a booth and started putting more salt in the slat containers. Then I moved on to the pepper.

I hate pepper with a passion. The season always makes my nose itch which eventually makes me sneeze. I do not care for it on my food either. Forget the spice I wouldn't want to be sneezing the whole time I eat.

The bell above the door went off signally people were coming in. I pushed up my glasses then got up and went towards the door to see a big mass of people walking in. Out of the mass of people I saw a few faces I knew.

"Eva I didn't know you worked here!" Leah greeted me with a hug.

"Hey, Leah. Yah I work here three days a week," I said once she let me go. "How many?" I asked.

"Twelve," Jonathan stepped forward. He had dark bags underneath his eyes and you could tell he hasn't slept in a while. I haven't seen him since the incident in the woods which was a few weeks ago.

I ended up having to putting two tables together. Some sat in the chairs around the table that could hold eight and others in booths around them. "Look at the help," Snickered Lexi I ignored her.

"What can I get Y'all to drink?" I asked. And, one by one they all gave me their drink orders and a few appetizers.

I rushed over and gave our current cook, Gary, the food orders then went to get the drinks everyone asked for. Leah offered to help, but I waved her off saying that this is my job. She accepted that and we got all the drinks handed out. The ordering was the hardest part. For teens they sure did eat a lot.

Giving Gary the food orders I took the appetizers and put them on the appropriate tables.

"So, what are you all doing out so late?" I asked Leah. She shrugged her shoulders.

"Late night food run, I guess."

"More like late night all you can eat buffet," I told her with a laugh. She looked away nervously and I could see I hit a nerve. "Did I say something offensive?" I asked. She shook her head no, but before she could answer someone needed more coffee. That someone just so happened to be Jonathan.

"You ok?" I asked him while pouring some coffee. Leaning up against the booth I crossed my arms with the coffee pot in one hand.

"Yah, I'm fine," He said with a small reassuring smile. I nodded my head and Gray called me over to get a few plates of food.

Making no more small talk with the group I started cleaning up for closing time. Finally all the teens had been served and I flipped the open sign to closed. Still filling everyone's cup every once in a while I started sweeping.

Everyone started leaving and Rob came out his office, "Eva you can leave I'll clean up everything else," With that he walked back inside his office and I gathered up my stuff.