Chapter ten

I woke up with a start, hearing crashes and feeling the heat from the flames. "Oh no Ace must be on Whitebeards ship..." I freaked out grabbing my cloths and rushing outside. Looking to my hands I relished I had no shackles? Aren't we being held hostage?

Ace jumped at Whitebeard and swung his arm for an attack with a knife. Whitebeard woke up then and knocked Ace out of the room sending him through the wall and out onto the deck hitting the railing outside.

I saw him fly over the railing. I stared at the ocean waiting for something to click.

"Hey, he fell overboard!" A crewmate said worriedly.

"And he can't swim, either!" Another added in.

It finally clicked into my head,"ACE IS A DEVIL FRUIT USER!" I scream in panic.

"Someone, go save him." One commanding.

Day after day, through clear and stormy days, Ace tried to attack Whitebeard in any way he could, but with the same result of being thrown back and into something.

"Every day he does this. He has real persistence." Vista said to me.

I frowned," I know he hasn't even noticed I'm here for the past week."

Ace gets thrown overboard once again as he yells before hitting the ocean.

"More than a hundred times now, isn't it?" A crew mate asked the others watching.

"Yup, pretty sure it is." The other confirmed. I sighed.

****

Another day droned by as the crew partied on the deck of the ship while Ace sat by the railing once again propping his arms on his knees as they lay slack and his head lying on his arms. I was about to walk over to him when Marco approached him. I watched as he sits there and a bowl of steaming food was placed beside him.

Marco stood in front of Ace for a few seconds then began to walk off; Ace looked up and then to the food. "You guys," Ace said making Marco stop and look to him, "why do you call him your father, anyways?"

Marco smiles as he answers Ace, "Because he calls us his sons." Ace looks up at Marco in confusion. "To the rest of the world we're all just outcasts. It makes us happy."

Ace stared at him in disbelief as he understood quite well what he was talking about.

"It's just a word, but it makes us happy." Marco tells him with a bigger smile spreading from ear to ear.

Ace clenched his teeth again as he grimaced and laid his head down on his arms again, fighting back the tears that wanted to come. He knew the feeling all too well when everyone shunned him and were cruel to him for who his father was. Marco understood as he let out a sigh and walked over to Ace, kneeling down in front of him.

"Hey, how long are you gonna keep risking your life like this?" Marco asks him seriously. "Make up your mind already! You can't possibly take the old man's head the way that you are now. Are you gonna get off this ship and start over? Or are you gonna stay here and accept Whitebeard's mark?"

Thatch, Vista, Jozu, and Whitebeard gathered nearby wondering what the two were talking about and smiled when they heard Marco told him to make up his mind.

"You know he's right Ace." I said.

Ace's head jerk upwards as he looked at me, I stood there with my hands on my hips. I really liked this crew.

"Hey, Ace!" I snapped as he wasn't paying attention to me, "So what do you say? Will we be joining Whitebeard's crew?" I asked him with a small smile.

He smiles back at me. "Why not."