Chapter 13 ~ Dangerous

When I was younger, my dad made me stay away from some dangerously attractive things like thorny because he said they might hurt me.

"You know what, I can choose not to go there." I told Marvin.

"You should. I told you; do it for me."

"You will come with me, right?" I was brushing my hair. I was just in my robe from a shower.

"I will, but you need to spend time with your date."

"You are my date."

"No, your real date, Ella. The one they can see." He held my hand.

I flinched and turned away from him. "I don't get it! Why are you pushing me to someone else?!"

"I don't push you away. I just..." He paused and I turned back to him. "I just want you to have real happiness."

"You are real, for me. We are real. You are the one who let me hold on to that, now you are the one who lets go? I love you, real or not real, we are beyond the meaning of reality." I wrote the words in my palm once more using the pen from my desk, I offered it for him to kiss. "I won't get tired doing this even for centuries every night and everyday. I don't want to forget you are real. Only if you're here to kiss it."

"You need to prepare. I know you are gorgeous tonight." He kissed my palm before fading away. He did not give me time to reply.

I wore on my gown. Mom knocked on the door, "Ella?"

"Come in."

She came in with a cosmetic box. "I will put make-up on your face."

I let her.

"The color of your dress looks wonderful to you." She cupped my chin and titled my head up.

"Thanks, Mom."

"The guy your dad is telling us, is he your boyfriend?"

"No!" I said again, so tired to hear about it. "He is not."

"Why did he ask you to the dance, then?"

"I don't know. Last minute rush. He just asked me yesterday in the locker hall."

"You mean you created a scene in school?"

I shrugged, "Not really a scene. There are just people who wanted to intrude."

"That's romantic!" Mom exclaimed. "Your dad asked me to the prom when we were in high school in the middle of the field while the cheering team was practicing." Mom was part of the cheering team when they were in high school. Dad and she were also the prom king and prom queen in that dance.

"He is not, I swear."

"Denial stage, girl. I know that." She sneered at me.

I gave up; let them think what they all want to think.

"Wear this," she placed a golden necklace around my neck.

"Your dad gave me this on our first anniversary."

"I might lose it." I studied the star pendant.

"You won't. You're responsible enough." She smiled sweetly. I hugged her.

My phone vibrated. Dan had a text.

Already here. Tell me when I can pick you up.

"He is already outside," I said.

"I will let your dad bring him in. Fix yourself and go down when you're done. Take your time." She closed the door.

I fixed my things. The high heels were preventing me to walk around. "Marvin, how do I look?" I asked although I couldn't see him yet.