Chapter 11 ~ A Dance with Me?

I noticed the school was partially empty. "Where are they?" I asked Quen, a petite boy with shark-like hair style and my Chemistry lab partner.

"Probably preparing for tomorrow. Happens every year." He replied as he poured a blue liquid into a test tube. The substance bubbled. "Why are they always excited about it? I mean it's nothing special. Are you excited?" I said while taking down notes of the reaction.

He shrugged and placed the now empty container he was holding back on the rack. "It's a rare time of the year, including cupid's day, which they can take their love ones—" He quoted his fingers making an aired quotation mark, "To a date."

"If they truly love them why can't they ask them anytime of the year?"

"No self-esteem. Hmm," he rubbed his chin with his other one, the one without latex gloves, "Rejection?"

Rejection.

The word lingered in my mind. I remember Liam had said it too.

"Are you going to take anyone?" I asked him.

He paused, "Yes. I asked Lynn, but..."

"She rejected you?" I supplied for him.

"Not that." He frowned at me. Okay, I was too pessimist there. "She already agreed to go with me, that's what I am thinking."

"Why? You should be happy she didn't reject you."

"What if she regreted choosing me? Maybe I should back out and just don't come." We both abandoned our experiment and focused in the topic.

"What? No! I think she didn't say yes for granted. I think she meant it." Lynn and I weren't close but she was gentle and I knew, based on my own personal experience, that she always meant what she said.

"You think so?"

I nodded to assure him, "I think so. We girls don't often take things for granted."

"I don't take things for granted either!" He defensed his guy side.

I laughed, taking the beaker to mix the liquids using a rod. "I did not say anything about it."

He laughed too, "Thank you for the advice, Ella. Hmm, what about you?"

"Me?"

"Do you have a partner already?"

Liam always had been my date every time we had to choose partners in school activities. Now that he wouldn't take me... I shook my head.

"Really? Well I know people who'll like to ask you, friends of mine."

I smirked. "Are you kidding?"

"No, I'm not." His face turned serious.

"But no one asked me, ever." It was true, except for my bestfriend which I think was already taken and tired of me. In the dance, several guys would ask me for one dance, but I knew it was just friendly dances. I did not even like the feeling of someone having a crush on me.

"They thought you will already go with Liam as last year, so they refused."

"Like who?"

He chuckled. "Secret. You'll know. Don't worry, before the day ends, you will have a date for tomorrow."

"Don't need one, though."

"Come on, every girl needs a date. And I am thankful you increased my self-esteem now it's my turn to take back."

Our chemistry teacher explained something in front. We finished the experiment and got an A. Before dismissing, she reminded, "Make sure your partner tomorrow has the right chemistry with you."