Chapter 21 ~ Ordinary

"Don't forget to put some sun block." Mom told me and Michael.

Beach?

I was staring at the bay in front of me. The sun was shining in the vast sea of sky preparing to set. Sunset?!

I turned and saw Marvin holding my hand. "Marvin?" I tried to say, but no words came out my mouth.

"Ella." He leaned and whispered. By the time I was about to look at his emerald eyes, the dream faded-

"Ella."

My eyes fluttered open and I saw Marvin so close on my face. Someone was knocking on my door. "Ella, your dad is trying to wake you up."

I pulled my covers over my head and shut my eyes.

Saturday. Just another weekend. Huh.

Dad yelled from the other side, "El. You don't want to be late in your check-up."

Shoot! My check-up. After my head injury, thanks to Candice, the school would have my head checked-up. "It's not serious but better to be safe." The school nurse had said.

"Ella!" Dad shouted. "Are you there?"

"Yes Dad!" I shouted back, still under my sheets. "Coming."

"Coming after what? Five years?" I heard Marvin say.

I replied with moan. Hmm-hmm.

"Hey," Marvin's hands slipped on the sheets and touched me directly on my shoulder. Whoa, he kept on amazing me. Nah, I was still sleep so I wanted to dug deeper on my bed.

"He might think you didn't wake up," he said, shaking me.

I glared at him. My head hurt, I did not know if it was because of my injury or because of the dream or nightmare I barely remembered.

He folded his arms and stared back. "You have to go to your check-up." He was serious now. Ugh, why do boys have to be so hot when serious? They became irresistible when they were like that.

I stood and threw a pillow right at him even I knew it just passed through him literally. I went to my bathroom. When I looked back, he looked at me with disbelief, that made my frustration fade. I had to turn away again because it made me smile for no reason.

~

Check-ups? It was when you were making sure that you were not dying tomorrow. It was a thing to dread for because there still a chance you could die or worse. And worse was a list of other bad things rather than dying, e.g. suffering from extreme disease then eventually dying. I was not thinking about it until now. I had a good week with Liam and Marvin, if anything went wrong, I knew I had them and my family.

"Don't worry, Ella, nothing can go wrong. You said you're feeling fine." Dad said. That's the thing! Some people who died did not know they were dying.

"Hopefully, let it be done unto me according to his word." Yep, whatever God planned, I would accept. Like I could do anything about it, but I still prayed that He could make me stay here in this world longer.

Dad smiled and placed a hand over my shoulder. We waited for mom in the lobby to return from parking the car. PE teacher volunteered to join us in behalf of the school. "Good morning, Mr. Gomez and Ella." She greeted Dad, flashing a smile that I rarely saw her did. "I apologize once again." She held his arms as what she might assume to be a sign of apology. Dad discreetly flinched to remove her hand. his head.

"If the results turn out fine, nothing to worry." Mom walked towards us, smiling. Then she went beside Dad and clung her hand on the arm Coach Jazz just held. "If not, well..." It was kinda creepy like a threat, maybe she was imitating the actresses from one of her shows. Nonetheless, my mother deserved an award to shoo Coach Jazz from my Dad.