Chapter 16 ~ Sick Friend

Weekend arrived; time passed so fast these days. I decided to spend most of it with Liam. So, I packed some snacks, a new book, mat and went to his home. I brought fruits and some food Mom told me to bring him. My mother was shocked of what happened, after me and Dad told her about it in the dinner; they thought Daniel was not that type of guy. I defended Liam by saying he just defended me.

We were on the living room of Liam's house with my Mom, Dad, Carol and Liam.

"I am just glad this is it, nothing much." Carol, Liam's mother, said while rubbing Liam's back. I was sitting beside him and Mom.

"Daniel seems to be nice..." Mom shook her head and leaned her back on Dad, who was holding her hands.

"Appearances can be very deceitful." I muttered from experience.

Few minutes later, Mom and Dad went home and left me. Liam and I went out to their backyard. I helped him although he was strong enough to go there by himself.

"I guess this is the right time to ask this question," I said as I placed the picnic mat, which Marvin and I used often, on the grass beside their backyard pool. "Are you fine?"

There were gauzes on his right temple, little wounds, and a bruise on his left lips, I guessed that was the first hit of Daniel, as I flashbacked. He smiled, "Yes."

"Good to know that," I smiled too and helped him sat. "Don't forget to drink your pain-killers and meds."

"Yes, nurse, I won't." I brought out the snacks and book from my pink ecobag.

"Picnic, eh?" he asked. I sat beside him, facing the clear blue water, and placed the bag between us.

"Yeah, you know how much I love picnics." I handed him a burger. "Are you going to school this Monday?"

"I'll try. I think I am healing fast." He grinned and took the food. His grin faded quickly, "Is he..."

I knew what he meant, "No, he isn't talking to me. He doesn't even glance at me. There was one time. The day after you and him had a fight. He said he won't give me another reason to hate him even more. Nothing to worry now," I smiled to assure him.

He nodded and shove the things I brought. "What do we have here?" He showed the book I brought. "Is this good?"

"A quote book. Yes, it is." It is, really. One of my faves. Well, technically, most books I had read were all my favorites. I opened a random page and read random lines. "Souls are recycled over and over, find she who is a lover." I laughed at how that sounded funny.

"Interesting," he nodded his head several times. "I'll read it this weekend." He searched the bag more and found a bag of cosmetics. He laughed, "And this?"

"Oh, that," I took it from him, "For hiding your bruises. Not very attractive." I smirked and showed him how to use it. "You have to open the lid, put some on your finger, then wipe it gently on your bruises to conceal them. Gently, Liam. Understand?"

He laughed again, "Yes, I get it. Why did you buy this for me?"

"I have to, it is the least I can do. You almost broke your nose and lips because of me." I shrugged and handed it again to him. "And I was thinking you didn't go to school for a week not because of the pain, but also because—mostly because—you're afraid of what you look like." I smiled teasingly at him. He was not so look-oriented person, I was just trying to cheer him up and it worked. "It's anti-bacterial and hypoallergenic."

"Come on, Ella. Even with these—" he gestured to his face and pointed at the spots, "Be honest, we both know I am still handsome."

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes at him. I suddenly remembered my conversation with Marvin this morning, "Marvin is checking on you, he said you should get well soon."

"He is here?" he asked, surprised.

"No, not now. He just told me before I left." I could not find him, but I knew he was just near and he would come back.

"Tell him I am fine, and thanks for looking after you when I couldn't."

"You're welcome." Marvin whispered on my ears, behind me. He kept on startling me, but I loved the way he did that. Surprises. "He is here. He said you're welcome."

Liam smiled. "We should really talk sometime, you know, Marvin."

"Someday," Marvin repeated, more like a promise to keep. I held on to it like how I was holding on to those three words written on my palm.

Someday.