Chapter 12 ~ Evening Phone Calls

Dad opened the door for me. "Who's that new guy?"

I hugged him. "New guy? You mean Daniel? He will be my partner for tomorrow's school party," I said nonchalantly.

"Your date." Dad raised his brow and folded his arms.

I nodded and laughed. "Yeah, sort of."

"You won't go with Liam?"

"I told him to look for another date. I think he deserves to have someone else despite me." I tried to say it happier as I was.

"Oh, Ella, you deserve every guy." He placed his arm around my shoulder and we headed to the kitchen to have supper.

Dad told mom what he saw, "I think our little Ella is growing up!"

"Seriously, Dad? No, he is not my boyfriend." I wanted to tell them my boyfriend is someone they can't see. I stomped my way beside Michael. "Right, Mikes?"

"Just remember not to do anything... immature." Mom reminded as she served rice on my plate.

"I think Ella knows what she is doing." Dad defended me.

I sighed, then explained again, "He is not my boyfriend. He drove me here so that tomorrow he can pick me up easily."

They went silent. Mom chuckled, "I understand you, honey. I've been to that stage before I met your dad."

"And I've been to that stage long before I met you. I know what guy thinks, Ella. Be careful but I trust you." He leaned to kiss my forehead. "But I don't trust the guy yet." We finished supper with conversations from Daniel, to the salad, to mom's celebrity crush and Dad being jealous—these were basically the routine when I got home from school, minus the Daniel part.

I went up my room and charged my phone. I had not seen Marvin since he'd told me to say yes to Dan in the locker hall. I changed my clothes and charged my phone. I closed my eyes and repeated my mantra.

He is real.

He is—

My phone rang, unregistered number. I guessed that must be Daniel. "Hello?"

"Hi, Ella." Daniel replied, "I called you as you said... well hope you got home safe and ate dinner."

"You dropped me infront of my house, yes I am home safely. I also had dinner with my family. My dad thought you are my boyfriend."

"He said that?"

"Yep. Don't worry, I told him you aren't."

"I wish I am." He lowered his voice.

I might be blushing, and I also wished I heard him wrong. Thankfully, no one could see me. "What?"

"Nothing!" He snapped.

"Oh," I had nothing else to say.

Awkward silence. Again. I wandered my eyes around my pink and white bedroom, searching for thoughts.

"I want to know what is the color of your dress or gown tomorrow." He broke the silence.

I moved to my window and sat on the couch below the sill. "Pink and black that reaches just above my knee."

"I imagine you look more beautiful tomorrow."

"Thanks," I was not use to people complementing me. "Why did you ask?"

"I want to match my partner's gown."

"You can wear black, if you don'thave pink."

"Luckily, I have it. I will send it to you. Tell me if it matches yours."