Chapter 17 ~ A Childhood Bedtime Story

Neri was on a monthly third Sunday day-off. I was in charge of taking care of Michael those days. I usually did my task with Liam, but since he was not well (mainly also because of me), I had to stay at home. I had Marvin with me, anyway.

"El... 'morning!" His little toddler voice burst in my room as he woke up on my bed. Dad carried him here before leaving.

"You have to stay with me again today." I smiled at him and brushed his small hair.

He climbed up on my arms and kissed my cheeks. "Okay... uhm, park?"

I tickled him. "No, little guy. We will just stay at home. Home." He giggled and pouted.

"We will surely have fun." Marvin said beside me. I hoped Michael could hear him, but I knew it was impossible.

"Do you wanna play?" I asked my brother.

He nodded, still pouting. "Just us two?"

I looked at Marvin. "Nope, I actually have someone with me. You want to meet him?"

He grinned now and nodded his head, "Yesh, yesh."

"He is Marvin." I told him, but he could not pronounce his name right. He just said, "Ma-bin."

I laughed, "Yes, baby. Mabin."

"Where?" He searched above and under the pillows.

"You can't see him, but he is beside you." I held both of Marvin's hands into mine.

"Ghost?" His eyes widened.

"I'm no ghost, Ella!" Marvin defended himself like a child and I laughed even more.

I thought of right words on how to explain Marvin to him, but I just could not findany uncomplicated words to fit what Marvin was and what he was for me. So instead, I rode on his way of mind, "More likely, but a good ghost."

He smiled now, "What he look?"

I smiled while I describe him. "Handsome, smart, and lovely, but he got to be tough sometimes and you can't bear his strength."

"Ohhhhh... Can we be friends?" He folded his arms up, showing his muscles.

"Of course!"

He stretched his arms in front of him, "Can I shake hand?"

Marvin grinned, "Nice to meet you, little guy." They shook hands, though of course, they could not feel each other because Marvin's hand just passed Michael's.

"He said you're a good boy. So, we have to eat breakfast." I stood and carried him downstairs into the breakfast stool on one of the island counters in the kitchen.

"Yays, stars! I love stars." he chanted because I was serving his favorite cereal breakfast.

"Thanks, El." Michael beamed at me. "'We play with Mabin later?"

I nodded and we ate quickly, with the promise of us playing after. Marvin was standing beside me, watching us.

"You're doing it again." I whispered to him while Michael was busy with his dinosaur toy from the cereal box.

"What?" he acted innocently.

I chuckled, "Staring at me."

"Well, I'm not staring at you," he said but hugged my waist from behind me while I was on the stool. "I'm watching Michael. You look so much alike." He leaned so his chin rested over one of my shoulders to get a better view of Michael.

"I hope he can see you." I placed my hands on his back.

There were simple words that when said, could mean more than those letters and sounds combined. They could instantly become a promise and a mantra. I also believed there were words that when said repeatedly, over and over, they had the chance to come true. This time, for the hundredth time, I had faith in him, I held on to his word.