Chapter 3 ~ Mr. Mirage

I opened my laptop and looked at my Twitter account. A mutual of mine asked me to check the link she tweeted me. I changed my clothes first before checking it. The link redirected to a famous website I always heard in school. It was a site for readers and aspiring writers. I loved reading, but I never tried writing. I did in school, but that was for assignments, never for personal reasons or pleasures.

She asked me if I could check her work and vote for it if I deem it interesting. I tried to read the first few parts of the story.

"Love makes people beautiful..."

I wanted to comment and vote, but I needed an account so I simply signed up . I started to read the rest of her story and commented in the parts I found interesting. Her writing amazed me; it was as if each paragraph was written by a professional.

For weeks, I tried to read works and stories of too many faceless authors. Each story was like a homemade cookie. Great cookies could come from the finest bakeshops, but homemade cookies came straight from the heart of the person who made it for whom she would bake it for. I was not saying famous authors lack heart; they wouldn't have written bestsellers if they did not have one. The site could catapult an unknown author to stardom.

I never imagined myself to be one. I am happy with reading and watching the products of other people's creative minds.
I also met new people online and chat with them about those stories and even fangirl with them about published books I've already read.

One afternoon, I was reading this story from my internet friend and a buzz interrupted my reverie. A red dot popped in my inbox. I opened it and read the new message from a stranger account.

_MrMirage: Hi. Thanks for voting for my poem. By any chance do you believe in love and in the afterlife?

I frowned at the sudden question. Afterlife? This user might be that odd, but made no difference, his poem was indeed amazing.

TheRealEllaGomez: I do believe in Heaven if that's the same. Life is the journey for us to reach our destination. As for love, it's very powerful. It can make someone alive here in this world even if he's already in the afterlife.

_MrMirage: Wow thanks! It took me a while before replying but your answer is awesome. It'll help me in my work. :)

TheRealEllaGomez: Glad to help. ;)

I thought our conversation ended but he replied again. I never thought that the next thing he would say to me would be able to change my life.

_MrMirage: I checked your profile and saw that you haven't written any works. You should definitely make one. I'd love to check it out.

TheRealEllaGomez: Thanks. But I don't think I have the talent—let alone the patience—to write one.

_MrMirage: You will never know until you try, my dear. Everyone has potential, it is human nature to express feelings and emotions, you just need to have the right stimuli. ;)

I eyed the screen suspiciously but shrugged at my questions and doubts. There was something compelling about having a stranger asked you to write for them. I flexed my fingers and yawn.

Should I follow his opinion and write?

What should I write?

Can I really do this?

Will somebody read it at all?