Chapter 22 ~ Audition

Author's Note:

I thank my friend, Angela, for letting me vandalize her lecture notebook for some part of this chapter! :)

Keep shimmering!

-S.

~~~

"The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, which has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only.*"

I was in love with Marvin since I started writing our story, but only when I saw him one morning after I woke up did I realize our love was real. There I proved Victor Hugo was right. The way lovers glanced at each other was not overrated in books. It simply became cliché because it is real, the true explanation of how you would feel whenever you see The One.

I was sitting between Liam and Marvin. The cold in our school auditorium was nothing compared to the winter wonderland in my closet, but I still had to wear a jacket to keep me from chilling.

"I'm not nervous, I'm not nervous." Liam chanted. We sat on the far end of the theater-like dome. There was table with the judges and in front that is a stage that was facing us.

Liam got number 26; number 10 was already on stage, performing whatever their piece will be.

"I'm not nervous." Liam repeated.

"Liam, stop it. You'll just make yourself more nervous!" I said and calmed him down.

He sighed. "I think I'm getting sick."

"No! Don't be! Can't you see? The carpet is freshly made." I tried to lighten him.

He looked at me and laughed. "Ella, you care for the carpet?"

I nodded. "Just don't be sick. I want to see you on stage during the play."

"Promise to give me a kiss on my brow when I am deadI shall feel it.*" I turn to the familiar dramatic voice and saw Aly on stage, crying. She was lying on the lap of a guy I could not recognize.

"I will, Eponine. I promise I will, but don't go just yet."

She dropped her head on the guy's knees, and her eyelids closed. She remained motionless until the guy leaned to kiss her eyebrows. She slowly opened her eyes and said in weak and so sweet voice that amazes me, "And by the way, Monsieur Marius, I believe that I was a little bit in love with you."

Liam tried to stand and walk away but I kept him back. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Anywhere but here. Let go of me, El or I will kill you."

"I won't and I know you can't kill me." I widened my eyes at him.

"Ella, I think your grip is a little tight." Marvin reminded me and I loosened.

"I wish Aly will get the role but that guy won't."

"Why?" Liam asked.

"Why?! Seriously, Liam?" I shook my head and rolled my eyes. "When he won, you'll lose. He is auditioning for the same role as yours: Marius Pontmercy." I felt that I was harsh, but I really wanted him to win the role.

"Thanks for the support, Ella, but I think I'm not into theater."

"You sang well and act well. We even did well in our practice!" I spent most of my free time in his room or anywhere we could practice his piece. "I don't want it to waste it."