Chapter 26 ~ A World Above Ours

Author's Note
This is one of my most favorite chapters. Hope you enjoy! :)

~

“MAR… VIIIIIN!!!”

I felt as though my own heart was stopping and the whole world was spinning. I was not sure if I should be disappointed or frightened because I might be feeling both, a mixture of anxiety that made me tremble so hard. This was one of those times I’d dreamt of for a long time, waiting for it to happen, excited for me to experience. However I felt different when it was once in front of me. Fourteen thousand feet above ground, on air.

“I – I can’t. I think I can’t do this anymore, Marv. I – I’ve changed my mind.” I said while backing off from the opened door that led to the mouth of the sky. Summer break was still months and several exams from now but Marvin managed to take me to another adventure far from home. One of his another surprises. I love this. Anywhere and anytime.

“Come on, Elz. You can you it.” Marvin said while tightening the grip of the straps all over my body, the only things that would keep my body in safety from the free fall.

I shut my eyes so tightly and locked my hands on the cold metal bars. What could possible go wrong in a matter of seconds? A minute of free fall?

Well, one wrong tap and you might lose your life.

Oh, right.

When I opened my eyes, I saw Marvin just staring at me. His green eyes rose above all the anxiety. Okay, I told myself. This will be the last thing that you’ll see what else could you even ask for? You’ll be in his arms with the clouds hugging both of you. It’s a perfect scene. And when it’s the only thing that is right, it’s okay, because it worths more than all those who went wrong.

“Okay,” I breathed in. “I’ll do it.” I was not sure where that courage came from, I was only sure that the next thing I felt came from him. He smiled and there was this inevitable urge that forced me to smile too. That smile was the only thing I could rely on now.

“Excited for the big jump, Elz?” Marvin offered his hands.

I let go of the cold metal bars and transferred my grip on his warm hands. “If anything goes wrong, I love you okay.”

Marvin smirked, not even a hint of anxiety showed. “Nothing will go wrong. Bend your knees, cross your arms, straighten your shoulders and jump with me. Tap this button on your shoulder to open the one side of our parachute. I’ll do the same to open the other.”

We walked towards the end edge of the door. There was a platform where we should jump off. I was welcomed by the bright sunrise across the distance, the roaring of the engine behind and the crisp morning air that swept through the clouds. I could almost reach them! But I was far too scared to strech my arms. Bend, cross, straigthen and jump. Bend, cross, straighten and jump. Oh, and tap the button. Bend, cross, straighten, jump and tap!

“Goggles on,” Marvin said to me and we both pressed the goggles from my forehead to my eyes. The bright rays were dimmed and I saw the view more clearly without hurting my eyes. We went up to the platform. “Fourteen thousand feet,” Marvin said exactly what I had in mind.

“Thanks for confirming it.” I sarcastically said.

Marvin smiled. “Don’t be afraid. We’ll jump together.”

I looked down for the first time with my goggles on. Intead of being afraid, I was amazed at how beautiful the sight from up there was. “Bend, cross, straigthen, jump and tap.”

“Tap after thirty-five seconds. You’ll hear this beep.” He pointed to the red dot light on his earpiece. “But don’t waste your time waiting for the sound. Spend the first seconds enjoying the free fall.” He winked and went farther to the edge. He offered his hand again and I followed. My heart beat faster and faster and all the oxygen in my lungs seemed to escape towards the clouds.