Chapter 15 ~ Apology

Monday.

Another start of the week. I spent my weekend thinking of what happened. I had to face whatever was waiting for me. I also thought whether to say sorry for Daniel or not. I was in this damn stage again. Liam reminded me I should not always take the blame for myself. It was not my fault. It was not Marvin's fault that he simply wanted to protect me. I fixed my hair in a quick bun and headed downstairs.

"Darling, aren't you going to eat?" Mom checked on me from her iPad.

I went to the dining table and got a slice of bread, not bothering to sit.

She disregarded her iPad on the table and fully gives me her all of her attention, "Something bothering you since your dance, everything fine?" And that was the thing, I was not sure to hate or to be thankful, when they knew me all too well if there was something wrong, without even saying it.

I shook my head and smiled. "Nothing. Just homework."

She looked at me thoroughly but dismissed, "Okay, your Dad left early..." She was sitting alone in the long table for six people with breakfast ready for two. I knew it was asking me to join her for breakfast. I was not that stubborn, so I cancelled my schedule of avoiding my parents and sat across hers—my seat—and drank my milk.

"How was the event?" she asked, still studying me.

"Fine," I said and forked a bacon from the serving plate.

"What do you mean 'Fine'?"

I did not want to look at her eyes because of the lie I was about to say, "I had fun."

"Ohhhh," she took a bite of her bread. "How was Dan? He was so handsome."

I almost choked, but managed it discreetly. "Yeah, he was."

She glanced up at me again. "I know there is something wrong, Miss Ella Grace Gomez." Oh, she never used my full name, I never did too, only occasionally.

I placed my utensils down my plate and sighed. "Daniel did something and... And I think I won't be able to forgive him."

She paused, considering my confession. Should I tell her that he had tried to kiss me? "Ella, I am not great in advising what to do, but I tell you this based on my experiences and also because I am your mother and I love you: So forgive."

I shook my head. "It's not that easy, Mom. I don't know if I can."

"Honey, to forgive someone is actually to free yourself also from a burden that keeps you from being happy. Remember that." She reached for my hand on the table and caressed my knuckles with her thumb. "You'll get over things, Ella. It takes courage, but you're brave enough to forgive."

I stood and hugged her, "Thanks, Mom," I whispered, even though I still could not think of forgiving Dan.

"You might need time, a day, weeks or months, but you have to start forgiving bit by bit." She rubbed my forearm on her neck, "It's getting late, I'll drive you to school."

I got my things and waited for mom to get her things upstairs in their room. She drove to my school. Traffic was getting heavy and I was almost late. "After your seventeenth birthday next month, we will enroll you in driving school."

I beamed at her, "Really?"

She smiled. "Yes, your dad knows a great one."

"But what about my car?" I pouted, acting like a child in front of my mother.

She laughed. "Oh, no, you don't, young lady. Not yet. You can't drive alone until eighteen."

"But..." I complained. Learning to drive is enough for now. Ha ha!