Chapter 20. Accusations

"Confidence is silent. Insecurities are loud."

Chapter 20. Accusations

Melody's POV

I watched Connor and Leah walk down the beach. Connor had his hands stuffed in his pocket and was laughing at something Leah said. Her blue dress was flowing in the breeze as she walked down the shoreline. I smiled in content seeing as they walked happily. I didn't understand why she was so nervous in the first place. She was a beautiful girl. She thought because she was on the heavy side she was ugly. I don't understand why she dosen't see the gorgeous features she has. Heck, I'm jealous of her.

I trusted Connor would show her otherwise. I walked closer to the water with Jesse holding my hand. I sighed and smiled up at him. Today had been an amazing day and I didin't want it to end, but I knew we had to leave as soon as Lyndon got here. Lyndon. His name brought a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach as I looked down at Jesse's and my fingers interlaced. My eyes travailed up his tattooed arm. The dark design twisted up his forearm like a snake and slowly disappeared and then reappeared on his shoulder, this time in lighter colours.I quickly pushed his name out of my thoughts, forcing myself not to think about him because I didn't enjoy the feeling it brought with it. My feet hit the cold water and sunk into the moist sand. The silence between Jesse and I suddenly became clear. I looked up at him. He had a crease in between his eyebrows and his lips were spilling into a frown.

"Hey." I said breaking the silence between us. His frown and crease disappeared as he looked at me. There was something about him that his face always was in a pained expression when 'relaxed'.

"Would you mind getting me some watermelon?" He opened his mouth to say something but shut it. He offered me a small smile before nodding and quickly taking his hand out of mine.

I stared after him for a while before I turned back and looked out at the horizon. The sun was bidding it's goodbye as it slowly disappeared, bringing the day to an end.

"Mom!" I cried running into the small kitchen in the basement of someones house. The place that was home till further notice.

"Whats wrong honey?" Concern was etched on her face as she crouched down in front of me. She brushed back my hair that was like hers, except her hair was curly and short and mine was long and wavy.

I ran my shirt sleeve under my nose as I pointed to my now bleeding knee.

"What happened?!" She exclaimed as she picked me up and sat me on top of the kitchen table. She searched through the broken down cupboards as I stared at my knee, sniffling.

"A girl pushed me." I said trying to hold back my tears as I tried to look brave for my mom.

"Is this the same girl who has been bothering you for so long?" I nodded as I swiped my hand under my eyes.

"I try to be nice, like you said mommy.She dosen't like nice. Shes bad." My mom took a cloth out of the drawer and ran it under the tap before turning and walking towards me.

She held my small, six year old face in her warm hand.

"Nobody is bad Melody. If someone does bad actions, it doesn't make them a bad person, you hear me?" I nodded and she smiled at me, dabbing the cloth across the cut.

"I try my hardest to be nice I really do." I whispered as she stuck a bandage to my knee. "Why do bad things happen to good people?" I asked looking at her. She gave me a small smile as she took my hand and wiped my tears. She helped me off the table and led me up the stairs and out the door.