Chapter 23

"Sir, she hasn't said a word, and it's been a week. We are running out of options."

The same nurse that has been attending me for a week straight was talking Jeremy. She was right though, I haven't uttered a word since that one day. Unlike Phoenix had said he would, he hasn't stepped on foot inside this room. I was done getting my hopes up, and I just felt dead inside.

"Do you have any idea why?" Jeremy stood at the foot of the bed.

The nurse looked sympathetic. "The only thing I could think of was PSTD. She has gone through a lot."

I was almost tempted to jump out of bed and scream at them. I didn't have a Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. I wouldn't believe it. But that wasn't going to get me to talk, or to move. I was just done, and I think that the nurse knew that.

"Is there anything you can do?" The hopeless look on Jeremy's face wasn't something I wanted to see again.

She sighed. "For now, unfortunately not; maybe if Phoenix would have a talk with her."

I jumped slightly, her words catching my attention. But did I really want to see him? After he told me he would visit me, and he didn't?

"You as well as I know that a certain someone banned him," Jeremy remarked quietly.

Scarlett. She had done it again, and was making my life miserable. Couldn't she allow me one happy moment? I don't think I've ever disliked someone as much as her.

"Bring him in anyway. I don't care what the queen thinks anymore, she needs him."

Jeremy sighed deeply and ran a hand through his hair. He straightened out his top and fixed his posture. "I'll see what I can do."

Both of them left me alone, once again. The nurse wasn't in here too often; I think she had given up after a while. I don't know how long it was before someone has come back. I didn't care. I felt something touch my hand. I slowly looked over at my hand and shrugged the hand on top of mine off.

Since I had been in a comatose state for two weeks, I had healed some. And after another week, I was almost completely healed. All of my casts were off; I just had to be careful. Not like I could do much in a hospital bed though.

"Can I talk to her alone?"

His voice sent a jolt through me. I was told he was coming, but I guess I didn't believe it. I didn't dare look at him though; only stare at the empty wall. Once he knew that both of them had left, he engulfed my hand in his.

"I'm so sorry. I keep messing up, don't I?"

I still didn't move my head or tightened my hand around his. He squeezed my hand, but that didn't do anything. He sighed quietly and moved closer to me.

"Please say something, anything," he begged, his voice softening and breaking.

The silence consumed us. He squeezed my hand again, but tighter. I let out a deep breath, but didn't make any noise. With blank eyes, I gazed up at him. He looked heartbroken and crestfallen. My lips didn't even twitch.

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry. I know I've treated you horribly and nobody should be treated that way. And I'm not going to make excuses for what I did. I don't expect you to forgive me, but in time I hope that you will. I want to get to know you better and-" I stopped him from rambling.

"Phoenix, shut up." I froze, realizing that I did something I shouldn't have.

Phoenix went on anyways. "I promise that I'll be better and if you give me a second chance..."