Chapter 17

Chapter 17

By morning, my feet didn’t hurt as much as the night before. Thorin wasn’t anywhere to be seen, but I was kind of glad to have some time to myself. Phoenix didn’t know it yet, but I was going to take him out to a coffee shop. That is, if he wasn’t doing anything. Who knew, when you were a prince of a kingdom?

I don’t think the king would make a big deal out of us going, since he did want us to be together romantically. It was still hard for me to see myself with him. Not many people like jerks, and I certainly didn’t. I was hoping to change that though, in benefit of everyone. I wasn’t sure if Thorin would let me leave, so I had to get past him first. And if I did run into the clone, that would also be a problem.

I gave my foot a look of disgust as I peeled off the bandage. I had snuck into a bathroom so I could change it, or just get rid of Band-Aids altogether. It was going to take some effort to walk around, since it was a bit painful, but it wasn’t anything I couldn’t manage. My cuts already seemed to be healing. I threw the bandages away and carefully walked out the door. I would have to find Phoenix again.

My stomach growled and distracted me from my mission. I was going to see if Mary, the cook, could make me something real quick. I tried to walk on the heels of my feet so I wouldn’t have unnecessary pain, but it didn’t work to well.

“Hey Mary, could you…” I stopped mid-sentence when I saw who was in the kitchen.

At least I didn’t have to search the entire palace for him, but he looked busy. Asher, Phoenix’s best friend, was chatting quietly at the table with Phoenix. The clone was also sitting there with the king and queen. Mine as well have a party. Phoenix froze and glared at me.

“What a pleasant surprise. Although, you shouldn’t be walking, or out of bed for that matter,” Jeremy said.

Phoenix sneered, “What do you want?”

For one second, I thought that he would change. Guess I was horribly wrong. Did that mean I was going to give up? No. He wasn’t getting rid of me that easily.

“Can I talk to you, just for a second?” I asked shyly, becoming uncomfortable with the gazes upon me.

“Can’t you see I’m busy?”

The clone held a secret smile and got out of her seat. She took me by the arm, smiled at the rest of them, and practically dragged me out the door. I stopped breathing. The one thing I was dreading was here. And I didn’t get a chance to see if Phoenix could come with me.

I was suddenly trapped against the wall with a tight grip on my hands. “I cannot believe you,” she seethed.

“After I told you everything, you went and ran off like an immature child. You’re lucky that Jeremy still doesn’t know, or else we both could be in more trouble than already.” Her hands grew hotter as she spoke.

Her fire power wasn’t very helpful for me. I hissed quietly and tried to take my wrists away from her heated hands. She wouldn’t dare let go.

“It would have happened anyway. I figured it out myself.” I couldn’t keep the smugness out of my voice.

“Watch it.” Her eyes flashed red as she narrowed them at me before strutting down the hallway like she owned it.

Guess that means that I won the fight that time. There was no point in that, but I guess I knew it was coming. I bit the inside of my cheek and walked back into the kitchen. Phoenix looked embarrassed, while his father just looked like he was ready to kill.