Chapter 21

"Sylvia," a hand waved in front of my face, "it's your turn."

Asher's cheeks filled with a blush as he shyly talked to me and tried to get my attention. I shook my head and blinked to make sure my eyes weren't blurry.

"Sorry..." I didn't know what to say around this shy boy.

Even though we had talked some before, he was still the shy eighteen year old I knew. At least I think he's eighteen. I never really thought to ask, I just assumed that he was my age.

I moved my chess piece and bit down on my lip, trying to figure out my next move. I'm not really sure how I got to playing chess, but I didn't mind. It was better than being cooped up in my room. I wasn't sure how much longer either of us were going to last though.

I leaned against my hand and inwardly sighed. He wasn't the fastest player, but I guess he liked to think about what he was doing first. He hesitantly pushed his piece forward and smiled to himself.

"So, uh, how have you been?" He rubbed the back of his neck.

I shrugged and tried to look deep in thought. Truth was I haven't been that great. But he didn't have to know that. "You know, same old thing."

He frowned, but didn't comment on it. I randomly moved one of my pieces and became bored again. Chess wasn't something I liked doing that often. I haven't played in a long time, so my moves were a little rusty.

"How come I don't believe that?" He flinched back at his own voice and started rambling.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry. I just know that you are dealing with a lot and-" I stopped him.

"It all right, Asher. I'm fine, really."

He grimaced but nodded. We continued our game until I was just done and told him we better stop. I tucked a piece of my blond hair behind my ear, curling my body and slouching.

"I, um, better go. See ya!" He was out of his seat in no time and out the door.

I chuckled lowly at him, finding his awkwardness funny. When I was younger I was quite shy, but never that awkward. I felt for him though. I started putting the game away, just leaving it on the table because I really had no idea of where we got it.

I was in library for what seemed like the millionth time. I really loved to just sit in here and read. Or just to simply think. Phoenix was back to treating me like the way he was before. Any time I would pass him, he would make a snide comment.

I gave up on everything though. I think that Thorin noticed my attitude change. I more than anything wanted to leave far away from here. My destiny was death. But if the prophecy was wrong about Phoenix and I, then what if it was wrong about everything else? I smacked my forehead and felt stupid for not thinking about it before. Phoenix and I weren't together, and never would be. We weren't destined to be together.

"Hey, where have you been all this time?" I groaned at the sound of my bodyguard's voice.

"I've been playing chess with Asher, that's all."

I haven't told Thorin I knew about the prophecy yet; even if it may or may not be true. I was nervous about talking about it, and the fact that I would have another person on my back. Even more than he already was.

"Thorin, I know what you're hiding."

I don't think I've ever seen such a toned man so frightened. His whole body froze and he became very tense.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

I scoffed, laughing bitterly. "I'm going to die, and we both know it. Want to know why I've been acting weirdly lately? I found part of the Piercingwings."

Door Fifteenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें