Chapter 8

Chapter 8

After I rushed to get changed, I warily walked down the stairs. It was eerie quiet and I didn't like it. I felt as if something was going to jump out at me any second.

The front door was open so I assume that Phoenix had already gone outside. It was nice that everything was normal here; even though the sunset sky back at the palace was beautiful, I missed the blue one.

Right now, the light was dimmer than when I first got here. It was going to get dark soon, not that I minded much. My eyes set on Phoenix's back; he sat at the edge of the water. He looked tense for some reason.

As soon as my foot made contact with the white colored sand, Phoenix's head snapped around at me. His eyes narrowed before he jerked his head back to look at the ocean.

"Don't waste my time; I'm not in the mood," Phoenix snapped; I could just picture the frown on his face.

I wonder what got him so moody. He was acting fine until we were talking freely together. Sighing, I plopped down beside him. My feet was gently covered by the water as the tide came in.

He huffed aloud, "What do you want to know?"

Of course I had many questions, but I knew that I couldn't go too far. Maybe he would be easier to talk to than his father.

"I'm almost certain that you aren't human, is that right?" I raised an eyebrow, trying not to give any signs of being scared.

He laughed bitterly, "Yes, we're not human. I should have known you were going to ask that. My dad needs to control his actions, seriously," he mutters under his breath.

He was diffidently acting different than back at the palace. I knew why; he felt as if he had to be good enough. I know how he feels; I've never felt like I was ever good enough for anyone.

"What are you then? Werewolf or vampire?" I tried to joke, lightly nudging my bare shoulder against his.

There was no trace of a smile on his face; guess I wasn't funny to him. Of course I wouldn't be; I rolled my eyes.

"No, silly werewolves and vampires are just myths. Our kind is called Elinye, but there are many different kinds. Each of us has different abilities, which in the end puts us in groups."

Now that I actually knew he wasn't human, I felt worse. It just made everything seem even more unreal but also, surreal. I scooted away from him without a second thought.

"What are your powers?" I ask quietly, my hands already shaking.

I didn't know how personal he was going to get but I had a feeling he wasn't going to let me dig too deep. His lips tilted upwards in a smirk. He was now looking at me; I was still cowering away from him.

"Are you sure you want to know? You look scared enough," his face didn't change, but I nodded none the less, "Since my dad isn't going to tell you these things, mine as well tell you. You're going to find out anyways," he shrugs.

I nod, to tell him I'm listening. Why keep me in the dark when I need to know these things? This is my life now, whether or not I like it; there's no going back.

"Well, I have super strength, I can see memories if I enter your mind, I can make you hallucinate things by sending waves. I also have these rare wings that only few people have," he paused, his eyes darkening, "My brain works different than most people; I can remember anything by just looking at it once."

It was mind blowing, really. It just wasn't possible. What are the rare wings he was talking about? It only made me more curious.

"Alright then," I sighed, thinking of other things to ask him, "What is the Piercingwings?" I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, looking out into the ocean.