Chapter 22

My knees gave out and I dropped to the ground. The attention that the guard was getting was now on me. Both of them stared, but made no move to help me. So it was really happening? The moment I've been dreading. I don't even know much about these creatures, and I've never met one before.

"Are you sure it's not just a false alarm?"

"Positive. From what I've heard, there is an entire army attacking."

Their words floated right through my head. All I could think about was that I was going to die. A thought popped in my head. Where was Whitewind? I needed him to finish this battle.

"Sylvia, we have to go. It'll be all right." Thorin scooped me into his arms and started carrying me.

I came out of my shock and watched as the other guard followed behind us. If I was going to fight, I would have to be prepared and be stable. I don't think it would go down well if I collapsed in the middle of fighting.

"Did the king alert everyone? And is he getting the weapons ready?"

Thorin was walking fast, so I bumped up and down in his arms. I tried to take deep breaths to calm myself, because I knew if I didn't I would go into a panic attack.

"He sent guards to spread the news, and he has a group that is assembling the weapons."

I tugged on Thorin's shirt to make him stop. He kept walking and ignored me. I yanked on it harder, making his eyes snap to mine.

"What?" His eyes turned a bit darker.

"Let me down," I demanded.

He gave me a look and I knew that he thought I wasn't strong enough. He gently let me stand, and I tried my hardest not to wobble. So as I stood there, with my warrior expression, I braced myself for the battle ahead. I was ready; maybe I wasn't ready in the first place, but now I was going to win.

Thorin led us both to the weapons volt with a determined expression on his face. As much as I wanted to cower away, I told myself that I needed to show them wrong.

"Just remember what you practiced all those times. And act on the element of surprise, when they are least expecting it. They are quite stunning creatures, so don't get distracted," Thorin instructed me, handing a sword and dagger over to me.

He paused, putting a hand on my shoulder. "You'll be okay. You have your dragon and some weapons. Good luck!"

He was about to run around the corner, but I stopped him. Without hesitation, I ran straight into his arms. I shoved my face in his shirt and sighed.

"Good luck," I whispered as he left.

Even though I didn't want to, I let my heart go out to Phoenix. All I could hope for was that he was going to be okay. If I was going to die, I would never see him again. Yes, he lied and was horrible to me, but I still had feelings.