Chapter 20

What Fabian looks like...

Lucky

     There are times when you decide to hate someone, give up on them, steer clear off them. But then something just pushes you back to them and you realise the universe would paint you black if you still decide to walk away.

     I had decided I was going to stay away from Fabian, the reasons why were numerous: my father already had the misconception that he and I were in a relationship, I was annoyed at the way he told my father to send me his greetings — It was like he was purposely trying to convince my father that he and I were an item, plus it was that I couldn't be in Fabian's life anymore, he wanted me and I didn't feel the same way, I was tired of spurning him, I didn't want to give him the hope that we would someday become something; I didn't want to date him out of pity.

     Fabian was way too persistent, I just had to sever ties before anyone got hurt. But how do you stay away from someone who just told you his father is dying? No one deserves to go through that. It would be like taking a bullet to the legs and then to the heart.

     Fabian and I were standing side by side, leaning against his red hilux. When he had dropped the bombshell on me, I simply turned around, looked him in the eyes and caught a hint of vulnerability. It was the same I saw in Abel's every time he let his countenance slip. In that moment, I realised Fabian and Abel were a lot alike in many ways, they both seemed to be hurting on the inside, hiding It with a façade. But no one is perfect, you can only hide something for so long — till it eats you alive.

"It's why I came back." Fabian spoke, breaking the silence. "You already know I was in Port Harcourt."

It's true, he was...

"I got a call from the help, I was informed that my father had collapsed in his study. Struck with worry, I rushed home in time to see his test results."

Fabian took off his cap and ran his fingers through his dreads, he looked down. "He has a strange condition... " He chuckled humourlessly and wore his cap.

I remained quiet and let him speak, giving him my full attention.

"Supposedly, It is some kind of disease that affects the brain and spinal cord, I think... the nerve cells." I caught him pinching the bridge of his nose and running his hands under his eyes. "I was told my father will gradually lose control of his body, and that It'll eventually kill him."

Jesus Christ! What kind of disease is that?

"Fabian..."

"So yeah, my dad's kinda crippled now..."His voice broke. "and they say he's going to continue to deteriorate and he'd be totally paralysed till he..."

I grabbed his arm and yanked him, turning him face me." Stop it, you don't need to go on."

"I'm supposed to meet with his doctor here..... but it seems he's not gonna make it."

Silence.

"Lucky, I haven't got anybody else..." Fabian croaked out and my heart broke. He reached up to wipe his tears, his cap denied me the sight of his teary eyes. "... to know that one day I'm gonna speak to him and he's not gonna respond..."

     I didn't know what else to do so I did the only thing anyone else would've done, I walked into him and wrapped my arms around his waist, resting my cheek against his chest. Fabian slightly crouched and enveloped me in his arms, tightly holding me against his body. As he leaned his chin on my head, his breathing fanned my cheek, he had a minty breath with a mixture of nicotine and alcohol but I ignored it and gave him the comfort he needed.