Chapter 26

Song for chapter: Fool For You By Zayn Malik

Lucky

I. Hate. My. Life

It was wednesday, second test would officially commence today and end by friday - same day we would be watching the play Bukky was involved in. After my phone call with my grandfather, I had woken up by six this morning, and then I took my bath, trying not to pay attention to the nasty bruise in my mid-section, it ran from underneath my breast to my abdomen.

Each time I bent over to do something like patting myself dry, applying my body lotion and wearing my stockings and shoes, I suffered tremendous pain but I tried my best to suck it up. This morning, I also noticed a sore on my tongue, I had bitten my tongue when my father kicked me in the chin.

After covering up the barely visible bruise on my cheek, I grabbed my bag and exited the room. When I saw my family, they all had different reactions. Bukky was relieved and angelic with me, mother showed concern at first but the minute my father ambled into the room, her demeanour changed and she practically flew away from me.

Sometimes, I really don't understand her...

Father had ordered me to go back into my room, take off my uniform and go clean up his room. I couldn't disobey and risk getting another beating, so I followed his orders.

The bed sheet was rumpled, there were clothes scattered on the floor, I had a hard time separating the dirty ones from the clean ones, and then I had to discard the empty bottles of vodka, some were even broken; the fresh vomit on the floor was evident of my father's hangover.

Whilst I cleaned up the bedroom, my father left with Bukky, It wasn't until I came out of the room that I noticed this. I had to rush back into my room and get dressed, I had wanted to take a shower because I was sweaty but I knew I was already late so I got dressed like that - drenched in sweat.

Father lord!

Finding a tricycle was mission impossible on another level, I had to enter a motorcycle. When I finally got to school, my annoyance skyrocketed when I realised just how late I was. I missed the flipping assembly and had to receive six strokes of cane from the punctuality prefect! And I ended up crying, it was the kind of tears that trickles down your cheeks when you're so enraged and trying to act all tough but the darn tears would just slip.

Father lord!

Fortunately, students still roamed the hallways, proving one thing: test hadn't begun. To while away the time, I ran into the girls lavatory and tried to tidy myself up. I adjusted the button of my plaid shirt, tucked it in my skirt and then I wore my blazer. I opened the tap, leaned over the washbowl, and washed my face, washing off my concealer in the process.

"Ugh!" I groaned, beyond irritated. I knew the small reddish spot on cheek was now evident.

Oh well...

I exited the washroom and noticed the hallways were now deserted, I went into temple run mode and sprinted like an ape was chasing me. I ran into the classroom and riveted everyone's attention to me, including the teacher.

Mr Spencer!

The man is the devil's incarnate!

"Yes, you. What do you want?" Mr Spencer, the government teacher queried, glaring at me. He was our invigilator for today's test.

"Sir, the test." I awkwardly fidgeted on the spot. "We have Market-"

"And you are just getting here?" I opened my mouth to speak but ended up closing it when I realised I had no valid excuse. "Get out."