Chapter 99

Lucky

After I returned from Ugo's, I knew I had to deal with the mess I made before leaving. I had literally tossed everything in my wardrobe out searching for the perfect outfit. I was already on this task when my phone started ringing from my reading table.

I made sure to place the hanger in my hands on the wardrobe's rail before marching to my phone. I picked it up and saw it was a WhatsApp group call from my friends. I was going to ignore it and continue my work but it was one participant that made me answer the call.

Best Orland was back!

Upon answering the call, videos began to pop up, as the screen divided into five squares - mine being the largest. I saw my enlarged forehead and realised the camera was too close to my face. I withdrew my hand and pulled my reading chair back to sit.

"Oh there she is!" Naomi replied, she had her glasses on.

"Yay!" TJ who wasn't actually holding his own clapped. His phone was placed so we could see him and the bowl he was eating from.

"You guys were doing a video call without me?" I feign a pout, placing my free hand on my chest.

Naomi gasped theatrically. "We would never!"

"Wait," TJ drove his spoon into his mouth gulping before he spoke. "Who you be wen dem no fit do video call without?"

I chuckled. "TJ, are you drinking garri again?"

"Ah my sister yes oh." He returned. "I can't cook and my mother and sister are not around, so wetin I go do? Something gats to enter belle na."

"So bread no dey house?" Best's throaty voice reached my ears and I moved my eyes to his picture box. He seemed preoccupied. He was barely even looking at the camera, he was looking backwards and gesticulating at something or someone with his free hand.

"Guy, you know me na!" TJ replied, theatrically rubbing his chin. "I will live and die for soaking garri."

"That's why you're so skinny, I'm telling you." Best replied, still distracted.

"I know but I'll still keep taking it!"

"Las las na garri go kill you." Isabel retorted.

"You need help baby." Naomi said with a chortle.

In response, her boyfriend hissed and swallowed another spoonful. "You all are just a bunch of ajebutters." Then he directed a question to someone else. "How far, Best? You don't seem to be paying attention to your phone."

"Oh..." Best replied, his right hand flying to his head. "I'm sorry, I'm with my brothers. Actually they're helping me watch out for my mum because I'm not supposed to be using my phone." He finally turned to face the screen. He still had some bruises on his face and it just pricked my conscience.

"I figured she'd do that." TJ replied. "Mumsy doesn't tolerate oh."

"Yeah, she took all my gadgets away. I'm also on solo cleaning duty of the entire two weeks of my suspension. Including washing cars and some compound work..."

"Wait I understand the chores but compound work..." Isabel tsked. "Isn't that too much for one person? Your security man is there for that na."

"You haven't seen anything. His mother is like that." TJ. "One time they made his older brother Beau act as the gateman for an entire week. He was told to stay outside by the gate so he would open the gate quickly."

"What? He slept outside!?" Isabel was bewildered.

"No, he didn't." Best replied scratching his head. "He still stayed here but he had to do almost everything outside including eating. Because if you don't open the gate on time my mum would add more days to your punishment. And no one knows when we get guests or when my parents come back. When they did it to me it was for two weeks. Christmas and New Year holiday. God, I nearly cried. And the gateman would be there relaxing. And you know guests always come and go that period. Me I just carried mat and pillow outside."