Chapter 51

Lucky

"You can come in, Mum." I announced, tucking my phone under my pillow.

The door creaked open and the light in the landing poured in, my mother's silhouette materialised before the doorway.

"I just wanted to check up on you..." Mum stated in a monotone. I couldn't see her face but I could picture the look on her face. "I thought I heard you talking to someone."

"No, Mum." I lied smoothly, then pointed at my laptop before me. "I was actually watching a movie."

"Okay well, try to sleep early." She replied.

"Okay, Mum. I will..." I said with a nod.

"Okay, good night."

"Good night, Mummy."

Mum disappeared, shutting the door softly behind her. I waited for a few minutes before pulling my phone out from underneath the folds of my comforter. Smiling like a child who had just gotten away with stealing candy, I pressed the phone against my ear.

"Abel...? You there...?"

He took a ragged breath. "Yeah, I'm here. Is your mum gone?"

"Look at your yeye question. No, she's still here and you're even on speaker." He chuckled. "I can't believe I'm still talking to you, It's past one!"

"When you wanna go to bed, just tell me. But I'm prepared to talk all night."

"God, I'm going to have dark bags under my eyes tomorrow!" I moaned, slapping my forehead with the heel of my hand.

"Hey, what about me? I barely sleep and I don't get dark bags."

"That's because you're extremely dark skinned. Gorillas are black sha..." I taunted, provoking a raucous laughter from him. "So whether you have It, there's no way to know."

"This insult is too much, I can't take it oh." He replied in between laughs. "I'll bleach my skin, don't worry. Just you wait."

"Naw... No amount of cream could make you fair. Well, you'd probably go from looking like a gorilla to looking like an orangutan. You know they've got this reddish-brown coat and really saggy breasts that just billows when they move -"

"Okay now you're just being mean." Abel uttered between deep chuckles.

I giggled, falling over to lay on my back. "Aww... Did I hurt your feelings?"

"A little, yeah..." He replied. "You're the only girl that tells me how great I am then reminds how fugly I am."

I groaned. "You are not ugly. If you were, I wouldn't give you the time of day. Believe me, I don't befriend ugly boys."

"Ey.... I always knew you were that kinda girl." He proclaimed, the humour evident in his tone. "Yoruba demoness, you just want to use me and dump me."

"Did you just say Yoruba demoness!?"

"Yes... You're the first female."

I chuckled. "You're a goof."

"I know, I know." He replied, sounding like it was something he was proud of. "Anyways, about our debate. Do you know when we'd be presenting?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you!" I slapped my forehead. "Mr Brume said he isn't releasing a time-table."

"How do we know when we're presenting then?"