Chapter 61

Abel

Pulling the hood of his blue jumper over his head, he balled his fist, preparing to ram it against the gate again but it was pulled open from the inside and he suspended his arm mid-air, inches away from a familiar face.

"What the hell, mehn?!" The boy before him exclaimed, shrinking his six-two frame for dramatic effect. "Look at the velocity your hand was travelling with! Were you planning on knocking down my gate or breaking your wrist?! You almost hit me sef!"

"I've been out here for a quarter of an hour!" Abel retorted with a scowl. "You said the security man no longer works here. I expected you to take time opening the gate but not this late! I even called you but you wouldn't answer! Probably because you were banging your -"

"I wasn't banging anybody this time. I was actually trying to get Tibia to his house."

Tibia was a dog, a breed of Neapolitan Mastiff. He was named after the bone in the body — tibia. It didn't sound like an impressive name but there was a story behind the name. The mastiff had been trained to attack an intruder, biting beyond the flesh to the tibia. And he'd succeeded once, when a petty thief had tried jumping the gate.

"You could've at least told me to wait since you heard me." Abel droned.

Fabian opened his mouth to reply but then his gaze travelled beyond his friend's shoulders and his eyes instantly lit up. "She's coming! It's my lucky day!"

Abel frowned, turning to look. "Who?"

"My girl... " Fabian smugly replied.

"Oh she don finally gree for you? (Has she accepted?)" Abel asked.

"She go soon gree (She would soon)."

Abel hissed. "So, where is she na?"

"Look left, fool." Fabian slapped his shoulder.

"I still can't see her." He frowned.

"She's walking behind that bus."

Abel had already turned away. "Abeg, I'm tired of standing outside. I'm going to lay down inside. You can go greet your babe." He sidestepped him, passing the gate.

~*~*~*~

Though his eyes were closed, he felt a shadow cast over his face and almost immediately; a nasty pong floated into his nostrils as if a used diaper had been thrown at him. His eyes flew open and he realised what had happened.

"You idiot!" He yelled in horror, reaching for his friend but he bolted, laughing deviously.

"I'm gonna kill you, you moron!" Abel took off after him.

"I had to wake you up!"

"By farting on my face!?"

"It's not like It's the first time I've done it!"

"Exactly!" Abel retorted, flying over a throw-pillow on the floor. "Which is why I'm killing you today!"

Rounding the table, Fabian bolted across the home cinema, running the past the davenport but his friend was faster. With cat-like agility, he made for him, scaling the furniture to jump over it. Upon landing, he thrust at him, successfully tackling him to the floor.

"God, I forgot how fast you could run!" Fabian groaned as his friend settled on his back.

Abel grabbed his tattooed arm, maneuvring it to wedge his wrist between scapulae. "How does that feel?"