Chapter 18

WARNING: Violent scene ahead

Lucky

     Best had his back to me, It was his blonde hair and fair skin that instantly made me recognise him — that and his outfit. Best was glaring daggers at the trio, I could see his jaw locking, I held onto his forearm, not wanting this to escalate and possibly result in a physical altercation. But they were boys, and boys will be boys. The testosterone in the air was suffocating, I could feel the anger radiating off my friend, Best really seemed angry.

"What the -"

"Wait oh..."

"Where did this oyinbo (white) trash come from!?" Ebimo asked no one in particular whilst eyeing Best. "this waste of space."

     I didn't expect what happened next, I never would have foreseen It. Best grabbed Ebimo by the collar and drove his fist into his face. The sucker punch sent Ebimo staggering, not giving him time to regain his footing, Best shoved him into his friends who caught him effortlessly.

~*~*~*~

     I guess It's true when they say alcohol makes you do stupid things and that it makes you do something you've always wanted to. It's sort of a booster, you know how a guy drinks before confessing his undying love or how people splutter things they wouldn't dare tell you whilst sober and then they get to blame it on the spirits. Sometimes, It's deliberate, people need courage. Other times, they make the most of their inebriation.

     The boy in front of me could be clumped in with the latter category. Judging by the expressions on the faces of the spectators, Best had shocked everyone, his bombshell would be the topic of the week. It only lasted for a minute though. Ebimo's countenance changed, he stood on both feet, shrugging his friends off him, his nostrils flared as his eyes darkened, he spread his lips explosing his gritted teeth; his eyebrows wrinkled as he fixed Best a glare.

"You're dead, wuss." Ebimo grabbed Best by the collar.

God, no...

"No no no!" I yelled as Nero held me back, wrapping both arms around my waist from behind.

     Ebimo balled his fist and punched Best three straight times, Best fell to the floor and spat out what looked like a mixture of saliva and blood.

"Ebimo, stop!" I jumped and squirmed in Nero's arms, I tried to pry his hands off but his hold was too tight.

     I let my gaze travel round the spectators, pleading with them to help but most people just gave me sad and frightened looks, others had a look of disinterest. My eyes landed on Naomi, she had just walked in. The look on her face was pure rage, without hesitation she ran to Best but Kelechi grabbed her by the waist, effortlessly lifting her off the ground.

"Let me go, you animal!" She yelled, kicking and throwing punches.

     Best got to his feet and tried to throw a blow but he was too sloppy, this caused Ebimo to catch his arm and drive his fist into his face again. Best grunted and fell to the floor again, Ebimo sent his foot into Best's gut, Best coughed and spat blood. The kicks continued, Naomi and I screamed as we watched. I prayed this would come to an end soon and not a rampageous one. Best was already in bad shape, there was blood on his face, proving that some of the blows had broken his skin. With the way Ebimo sent his foot into his gut, I prayed he wouldn't break a rib. I felt so bad knowing this was all because of me, Best was getting beat up all because he tried to stand up for me. I hated myself and I was sure he would hate me too, trouble was all I attracted.