Chapter 33 - Prom (3)

Aaron

"You have to keep going! You have to protect them, Dean!" I screamed over the noise.

"But Jane-"

"I've got her! Go!"

Dean still looked as if he didn't want to believe me, but reluctantly stabbed the first vampire he saw with the blade in his hand.

I slid my arms under Jane's neck and at the crook of her knees and carried her bridal style. I pushed through the crowd, making my way to the stage at the opposite side of the gym. I lied Jane's body down on the wood and grabbed the microphone from the stand.

"Chad, you have seriously messed up this time." I said into the mic, so everyone could hear. The fighting suddenly stopped, and everyone's eyes flew to mine.

"Jane is dead because of you, so I hope you're happy."

I tossed the mic to the side and noticed Paris staring at Jane's body is disbelief and shock. Moments later, the gym was back to a war zone.

I crouched down next to Jane and gently caressed her cheek. This was all because of me. How could I let this happen?

Slowly, I leaned my head in and placed a kiss on her perfect lips. She was dead, and there was nothing I could do.

"Aaron! Her neck!" Paris cried before she jumped off the stage and stabbed a random person. My eyes flew to Jane's neck and I saw two little holes, both covered in blood. They slowly began to heal, and I gasped.

It couldn't be...

***

Jane

I could hear everything around me, but I couldn't move. The sounds were muffled, as if I was covering my ears, but I could still hear it. The pain was numbed, but still slightly there. It was the weirdest thing I've ever experienced.

I had expected death. I had expected my time to be up. What was going on?

My finger twitched and I knew something was wrong. Had I survived after all? Was I in the hospital? No, because I could hear the war around me. I still couldn't move, or even open my eyes, but my finger had somehow twitched.

I suddenly felt a soft pair of lips against mine and hoped to GOD it wasn't some creep. Then, I heard Paris' voice over everyone else's and deciphered a familiar name.

Aaron.

My sore body began to feel stronger, but my head was pounding. A smell made my stomach clench in desire. It smelled of every food that I loved, and I felt my mouth begin to water. But before I coud do anything about the smell, my eyes flicked open.

Suddenly, everything came into focus. I heard screaming, and felt the cool drops of the sprinklers. The smell was stronger, and there was purple and red blood all over the floor. But the first thing I saw was the complete and utter shock on Aaron's face.

"Jane?"

A smile played on my lips as I nodded excitedly. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and we held each other tight. It was as if everything was on pause, waiting for me to enjoy this moment. But it obviously wasn't, and without another word, I got to my feet and hopped off the stage.

 There weren't many now. Only about 20 people occupying the gym. The rest were dead. I thankfully saw Paris, Bianca, and Dean among the survivors, but I also saw Chad.

The smell was stronger than ever now. Where was it coming from? My head was pounding, and suddenly my eyes locked on a jock I had seen around before. He was human, but dying. I noticed a large open wound in his neck, and I could see nothing else. A pumping noise echoed through mind, and a split second later, I was at the boy's side. His eyes were fighting to stay open, but he knew he only had a few seconds left of life.