Chapter 8 - Weak Point

"Jane?! Are you even listening to me?"

I lifted my head up from my ipod and studied the frustrated woman. Miss Carters was LIVID at what happened with the fire alarm.

"Of course I am, Miss Carters. What kind of person wouldn't listen at an important time like this?"

"Don't be cheeky. It is a crime to prank the fire department. You are in big trouble, young lady."

"It's Friday! what are you going to do, give me detention?"

"I would, but for you that's not enough punishment. You are going to have to make a phone call to your parents." Miss Carters said with an evil grin.

My eyes widened. No way. She found my only fear.

"But I-"

"No exceptions. Here's the phone." Miss Carters said as she moved the phone closer to me. I took in a deep breath and picked up the receiver.

"Um, could I maybe do this by myself?"

Miss Carters rolled her eyes, but nodded.

I closed my eyes for a few seconds before punching in the familiar number and holding my breath while it rang.

***

Aaron's POV

I was in no mood to go back to my room, so I wandered the hallways silently. It was Friday night, so most students were out at parties or something. The school was dead silent.

As I walked past the office, I looked in and saw the room dark. All except Miss Carter's office, which was brightly lit. I saw Jane Robertson sitting on a chair across from Miss Carters. I could tell she was crying, her makeup running slightly.

Jane nodded, then left the office silently. I looked away, not wanting her to see me staring.

I watched out of the corner of my eye as Jane opened the office door with one hand while rubbing her eye with the other. A nail that wasn't completely nailed down to the floor caught on her foot and I watched in slow motion as she began to fall for the third time in a few days. I quickly dashed to her side and caught her before she fell.

Jane sniffed back a tear and I helped her back up to her feet.

"Um, thanks." She said softly.

"What's wrong?" I asked without thinking. It was none of my business, but I couldn't help but ask.

Jane looked a little taken aback by my question, but she just shrugged, "Is it that obvious?"

"A little."

"Well, to make it short, Miss Carters found my weak spot." She said with a forced smile.

"How so?"

I mentally slapped myself. Why do I care?

Cuz you're worried about her.

Urgh. Shut up subconscious mind.

"Um, just my dad. She made me call him. I don't really get along with him that well."

I nodded in understanding. I guess we were a bit more similar than I thought.

"What about you? What are you doing here?" Jane asked.

"My roommate is annoying, so I decided to take a walk."

"More annoying than Celeste?"

"Absolutely."

Jane laughed, "Then may I join you?"

I nodded and she walked alongside me.

"So...You're not partying tonight? You seem like the type that would enjoy those things."