Chapter 22 - Memories

Celeste

As I finished off Aaron's sword, I heard the door of the tech ed room burst open. I didn't even look up from my work as I tested the blade's sharpness on a block of wood, gently slicing through it as if were butter.

The figure slammed their hands on my work table and I jumped, accidentally dropping the sword to the ground. It clattered on the dusty floor and I glared at the person who had so rudely interrupted me.

A tall, brawny guy with hair as dark as Jane's stared at me intently. I looked around, not sure if he was really wanting to see me, or somebody else in the class. Wait a minute, it's Sunday. Nobody else is here.

"Um, who are you?" I asked the boy. He looked at me curiously, studying my features as if he wasn't sure whether I was someone he knew or not.

"I'm...Dean... I'm sorry, do you know where I can find Celeste Davis? A small, awkward, nerdy girl that used to room with my sister, Jane?"

Dean Robertson! Of course! He always looked so confident. I guess I didn't recognize him because of the stern, scared expression he wore now.

"I'm sorry, is that supposed to be funny? Calling a girl nerdy isn't really a nice introduction."

"So, you know where I can find her? Someone told me she would be here, but I don't see her."

And this guy was in honors with me? What in hell is wrong with this picture?

"Uh, I'm Celeste Davis. And what do you mean used to room with Jane Robertson?" I asked.

"She didn't tell you? I knew she wouldn't. She's never been one for goodbyes." Dean grumbled. He looked at me closely again, before saying, "It makes sense now. I can't believe I didn't put the pieces together..."

"Huh?"

"Jane's gone. Our dad took her out of SCA yesterday."

"WHAT?!"

"I know, but I came here to ask you something. Do you know Aaron Mandler?" I nodded, and Dean sighed, "Then you must know what he was taking about. Tell me, Celeste, do you believe in vampires?"

***

Paris

Monday mornings always filled the school with dread. More so today, since everyone immediately realized Jane was no longer here.

As soon as I heard that Jane left SCA, I immediately went out to the back garden area. Sure enough, I saw my brother sitting on one of the benches.

I sat down beside him and noticed that he was reading the book I had bought him for Christmas. It was one about pirates and adventure, not the sort of book he usually read.

"Hey, little bro." I said. He looked up from the pages and looked at me for only a minute before dog earing his page and setting the book down beside him.

"Paris." he greeted in reply.

"I heard Jane left." I said.

"How did you find out so soon?"

"Well, no help from you, but I found out through Dean. Everyone knows now. She IS pretty popular here."

"I am aware. I just didn't realize that teenagers notice the bad before the good."

"It is pretty bad, huh? I heard she hates her dad." I said. I knew Aaron hated our father too, but I didn't bring it up.

"You and I both know it's for the best. What with Chad and all."

"I guess. I've never really had a best friend like her, though. Even Bianca and I were never as close as Jane and I."

"She did know how to weasel her way into people's lives." Aaron grumbled.

"Maybe so, but is that really a a bad thing? I know you miss her already."

"I do not! It was for the best. Besides, I don't get attached to people. Making friends causes nothing but grief in the end."

"Aaron, I know you're feeling it. If anything, she was a very good friend of yours. Admit it, you like having someone to look out for again."

Aaron sighed, "I shouldn't, since I failed so miserably the last time."

"Aaron, you never failed me. Sure, I may not be a human anymore, but I'm still Paris Mandler. I'm still the same girl who won three beauty pageants when I was seven. I'm the same girl who kicks butt at chess, but doesn't understand the objective in checkers."

"The only girl in the whole world that was able to get her hair caught in an escalator." Aaron said with a smile.

"See? There you go. I am the only girl who has gotten their hair caught in an escalator. Why? I'm not sure. But I-"

"I'm pretty sure you said the lights were coming from the alien space ship under the magical stairs and you just HAD to go check it out." Aaron teased.

"Okay, fine. I was a stupid kid. What I'm trying to say is that I am still the same Paris who does all of those things. Just because I'm a little different, doesn't mean you failed me."

"That helps, Paris. But now I just feel worse about Jane."

"Technically, it wasn't your fault." Paris said.

"But it is. I had the power to stop her, but I all but packed her bags for her. I hate to admit it, but I don't think I really stand a chance without her. Especially since Chad has twelve vampires against us."

"Well, you have me and Celeste. Brains and beauty. I guess we'll just have to make due."

"I guess..." was all he said. Aaron opened his book again and I glared at him. I snatched the book from his hands and he yelled my name in protest.

"You just totally ruined a great brother/sister moment! You should be ashamed!" I cried. I stuffed the book in my jacket and hopped off the bench, running a few feet into the open field.

"Paris! Give that back!" Aaron cried. He chased me around for a few minutes before we fell to the ground laughing.

These were the kind of moments I loved.