Chapter 15 - The Traitor

Aaron

I peeked through the bushes at the meeting that had gathered. It was exactly midnight, which was the time I had overheard from a few of the new students. As soon as Jane had told me that they were the vampires from the party, we made a point of finding out what was going on.

Jane was couched down in front of me, peering at the large group. I hated to admit it, but all of this was her idea. Her brain was built for such things, like sneaking around and eavesdropping.

Chad stood in front of the group, his back turned to us. It was only him; not Dean or Paris or even Bianca was present. He quieted the group and cleared his throat.

"Brothers and sisters of the night! I have gathered you from near and far, asking for your help. You see, there is a new girl in town. She goes by the name Jane Robertson." I saw Jane wince at the mention of her name, "I sense great power and courage in her. She will be a powerful enemy, or a powerful ally. Her brother, Dean Robertson, believes she will join us as a human. I believe otherwise. This is where you come in." Chad explained. He started making his way around the unmoving crowd, as if to inspect them.

"Why does it matter so much?" a deep voice asked from the center of the group.

"Well, vampires have always been at the top of the food chain, yes? Unfortunately, there is another human here at SCA. His name is Aaron Mandler. He has killed dozens of us, finding our weaknesses and lowering the number of human deaths in the area. It is shameful to have to fear a human, don't you think?"

The group of 12 agreed and Chad continued, "So, I promised Dean Robertson I would give him the year. I am never one to go back on my promises, so unfortunately I am forced to wait it out. But, on the night of Prom, we will unleash our fury on Mandler and Robertson. Nobody will get in our way again, especially not a lower life form."

"What do we get in return?" a confident blonde girl on the edge of the mob asked.

"On Prom night, there will be an entire gymnasium filled with adolescent teenage humans. What more could you ask for?"

"What if the two are not at the prom? Aren't they sophmores?"

"There is almost a guarantee that Jane Robertson and Aaron Mandler will crash the Senior Prom."

"How do you know?"

"Because I know exactly what will draw them there."

***

I spent the entire way back with my eyes focused on the ground. Jane must be freaking out right now, and I had no idea how to comfort her. I was surprised though, when I looked up, Jane was smiling.

We walked through the main doors of the school and sat down on a couch in the lounge. Jane was still smiling mischievously.

"Stop smiling like that! It's creeping me out. You are seriously not like other girls. Any other girl would be in hysterics right now."

"Oh give me a break. How many times do you have to say it to realize it's true? I'm not like other girls. I am just so much better." Jane said smugly.

"That's another thing I like about you. So selfless." I said sarcastically.

"Anyways, I am smiling because I have an idea. But I need you and.....Celeste......to help me." she said, almost gagging at the girl's name.

"How so?"

Jane smile only got wider, "We are going to badly damage Chad's ego with a series of unfortunate events."

I waited, hoping there was more to her plan. Of course that was all she had. This girl grew up as a popular.