Chapter 2 - Roommates

My alarm clock went off at 7:30 and I smacked it off the bedside table. I didn't even flinch when I heard it break on the hardwood floor. I just fell back asleep...

***

"Jane?"

I ignored the voice, nuzzling my head deeper into my pillow.

"Jane...?"

"Mmm...." I groaned as I shoved my pillow over my head.

"Jane!"

Ugh! SHUT UP! I thought as I kicked the figure. I heard a grunt of pain and a smile spread across my face.

Suddenly, the blankets were ripped out from under me and I was left sprawled on the floor.

"JANE! WAKE UP!"

"Go to hell, Dean."

"Get up. NOW."

"Leave me alone! It's too early!" I cried.

"Jay, it's noon. You have lunch, chemistry, and P.E. Plus detention. You're going to be late. Not like it matters since you've skipped every class. Luckily I was able to cover for you, but you're still busted for skipping homeroom."

"Oh well. I guess I'll try again tomorrow-"

"Get up, Jane. Unless you want me to tell Mrs Carters that you slept through the entire morning."

"You are such a tattle tale. Remember when you used to be the bad one?"

"Yes. But then I grew up. Get dressed, and I'll buy you lunch."

That woke me up. I slowly got up and walked into the bathroom, taking a shower and fixing my hair. I brushed my teeth and threw on some black skinny jeans and a grey tshirt. When I pulled on my black hightops and threw on some makeup, I staggered out the door. I felt dizzy and not quite awake yet and managed to trip on my own two feet, falling down the stairs and hitting a wall. I fell on my back and sighed, letting my head hit the concrete.

School was out to get me.

I watched as a guy slowly made his way over to me. He was the only one in the hallway (luckily) and the only one that had seen me fall. He had short brown hair and brown eyes that showed no emotion.

He held out his hand to me and I stared at it, dumbfounded. Why wasn't he laughing? If I saw someone fall down the stairs, that's what I would have done.

I blinked, realizing he was still staring at me, and took his hand. He helped my up to my feet, still showing no emotion whatsoever.

"Thanks...I guess..."

The boy nodded and turned to leave. Then he stopped and looked back at me, "Are you the new girl?"

"Ya. The name's Jane."

He nodded again and continued walking. Wow. What a weirdo.

I felt my lip, which had been cut open during my fall, and wiped away the blood. Thankfully, it didn't bleed for long. I turned the other way and almost ran into a girl my height. She didn't look frazzled at all. She had a huge smile on her face, complimenting her long, curly brown hair.

"Hi! You're new here, right?" She asked in a peppy voice.

"Uh, ya."

"I'm Paris. Did my brother just talk to you?"

"The weird guy? I guess. Why?"

"That's weird. He doesn't usually talk to people. He barely talks to me. Anyway, are you on your way to the dining hall?"

I nodded and she took my hand, leading me down a few hallways and finally into a spacious room. The words Dining Hall were written above the door and there were dozens of tables scattered around the room. Tall windows covered most of the wall space.

Paris started towards a table at the other end of the room and I followed her. As I was walking, I grabbed an unopened bottle of Coke out of a kid's hand and cracked the seal, taking a swig of the pop. It tasted nasty, so I put the cap back on and shook the bottle before throwing it at a random kid sitting down.

I sat down at a table with Paris, Bianca, Chad, and Dean. I grabbed Dean's bottled water and heard a loud popping noise followed by a bunch of screaming. I took a sip of the water and tossed it back to him, not even flinching.

"Hey guys!" Paris said to Bianca, Chad, and Dean, "This is Jane! She's the new girl."

"Ya, we met last night. Hello Jane." Bianca said.

"Hey there Bianca. Hello Chad."

Chad looked up from his phone, "Jane."

"Good morning, Jane."

"Go to hell, Dean. You owe me lunch."

Dean threw me a $20 bill, "Knock yourself out."

"I'd say thank you if I didn't know you meant that literally." I said with a glare.

"Mhm." Dean said, no longer paying attention.

I shook my head and got an apple and a frappacino, paying with the 20 and pocketing the change.

I made my way to the table and sat down.

As soon as I did, the bell rang for class and everyone got up out of their seats and scrambled to their next class.

"D, what class do I have now?" I asked.

"Chemistry."

"Thanks bro!" I said as I headed down a random hallway.

"Jay, the chem lab is the other way."

"I'm aware!" I said as I kept walking.

Dean grabbed the back of my shirt and yanked me back, pushing me into a room labeled Chemistry.

I growled at him, but he slammed the door behind me before I could escape.

"You must be the new student! My name is Miss Carbury and I'll be your new Chemistry teacher!" The teacher said way too cheerfully.

"Whatever."

"Great! I'll just have to partner you up with Mr. Mandler in the back corner."

I looked to the corner she was pointing to and saw the weird guy that helped me in the hallway. Paris's brother.

I groaned and sat down beside him. The teacher began the class and I tuned her out quickly.

"You're Paris's brother, right?" I asked him.

He nodded.

"That's cool. I have an idiot brother. Dean Robertson."

"That big shot Dean is your brother? Actually that doesn't surprise me. You seem just like him."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You are young and ignorant."

"I am not!"

"If you were smart, you would leave this place while you still can."

"You think I want to be here? I wish I could leave, but I actually can't."

"Than I pity you."

"I don't need your pity. If it's so important to leave, than why haven't you?"

"Because without me, this school would be in ruins."

***

Ugh school is exhausting. I endured chemistry, P.E., and detention. That's it, and I'm beat.

I fumbled with my key as I opened the door to my room. I dropped my bag when I noticed something extremely different about my room. Now there was two beds.

"What the-"

"Hi there!"

I spun around on my heels to find a girl standing behind me. She had long brown hair pulled back in a ponytail and thick black rimmed glasses.

"Who the hell are you?!" I cried.

"Oh, I'm Celeste. Your new roommate."