Chapter 29 - The Preformance

"Jane, I wanted to talk to you about our vampire situation-"

"Not now, Celeste! I am SO LATE!!!" I cried as I grabbed the large garbage bag filled with props off my bed and scrambled out the door. All of this vampire drama was going to have to wait until after the musical. I couldn't mess this up!

I ran down the hallway and skidded to a stop outside the auditorium entrance. I took a deep breath before walking inside.

The stage was a disaster. There were students practicing their lines, like they should be, but majority were doing at least one of the following: A-panicking in the corner with last minute stage fright, B-searching through a mountain of clothing for their costume, or C-laughing at Chad in his dress and wig. I actually didn't mind the last one, but Miss James obviously did.

I held two fingers to my mouth and whistled so loud, a few students covered their ears. All noise stopped, and everyone's eyes were suddenly on me.

"Okay, people! Tonight is the big night, so if we are going to do this, I suggest you shut up and listen to what I'm about to say. Nobody but little miss teacher's pet over here," I gestured to Chad, who scowled at me, "is in costume yet. Mandy, you are on hair and makeup. We are going to go through this with props, costumes, makeup, everything before we do this for real, got it? Dwarfs, find Mandy for hair and makeup. Other actors, find your goddamn costumes. Stagehands, I need a status report on the functioning of the lights and props. GO!"

Everyone dashed to their assigned places and I sighed in relief as I flopped into the chair beside Paris.

"Thank god you're here. I'm pretty sure Miss James was going to run for the hills any minute." Paris said.

I nodded, "You either have it or you don't."

"Did you finish with the props?" Paris asked.

I lifted the garbage bag onto my lap and untied the top. I took out a large Styrofoam ball that had been carved and painted to look like an over sized apple. on one side, there was a large dent, as if Bianca had actually bitten it.

"You're good." Paris complimented. She reached under her chair and took out a pie the size of a large cake. On the top, in an italic handwriting, was the name 'Grumpy' written with pastry. We were following the Disney movie closely, while adding a few extra songs here and there.

"Nice. Is it real?" I asked.

Paris nodded, "I know a guy."

"I have dibs after this is over."

Paris laughed and paced the pie down on the seat next to her just as one of the stagehands guys that was playing a few of the animals (puppet chipmunks and birds) handed me a clipboard.

"All of the lights are working fine, and the backdrops are in order." He said.

"And the other props? The tables and such?" I asked impatiently.

"Uh, all good."

"Thank you. Practice your cues." I said and he scampered off.

"This is going to be one heck of a performance." I muttered.

***

"Nervous?" Paris asked.

I smiled, "Not a chance."

We were standing backstage, and the auditorium was filling up. The actors did great in the dress rehearsal, but I didn't feel completely at peace quite yet.

"It's going to be great. You've done a great job, Jane." Paris assured me.

"We'll see." was all I said as I placed my headset over my ears. Paris had one too, so we could cue each other throughout the performance. I was going to be sitting in the audience, while she was staying backstage.