Chapter 17 - Back In The Vents

"Hello beautiful."

I gasped and Celeste grabbed my arm. I could feel her shaking beside me, and I hated to admit that I was doing the same thing.

"Who are you?!" I asked, stepping away from the figure. I felt a finger trace the side of my face, starting at my hairline and following my left jawbone. I took another step back, trying to get out of reach of the stranger.

"So...You know our plans, do you?"

"That didn't answer my question. Who are you?" I asked, feeling anger bubbling up inside me. I didn't know what it was about this guy, but the sound of his voice pissed me off.

"I'm afraid I make the rules around here. You see, you're not supposed to fight back. You are supposed to come and die on your own accord."

"Sorry, but things don't always go your way. I should know. You know, I would hate for anything to happen to your rock hard abs, but I'll do what's necessary to protect myself."

"And, what would that be, exactly?"

"Well, I was planning on smashing your head onto these rows and rows of shelves here. Next, I will text Aaron too dispose of you horrid body. Then, while you are crying like a little girl, my roommate and I are going to go to lunch."

The man laughed, "Really? You think I'm afraid of your boyfriend? Or you and geekeroni over there? We are vampires, you are lower life forms. Is that seriously your entire plan?"

I grinned, "Well..." I began as I grabbed a shard of the broken plate, "no. It's not my entire plan. First, I have to do this!" I cried. On the last word I lunged at the man, stabbing the ceramic plate into his chest. He groaned in pain and Celeste screamed as we made a break for it. The hallways were clear at this point, for students are told to go back to their rooms if the power goes out.

We sprinted down the hall, my necklace smacking against my chest so hard it hurt. My heart was pumping and my head was pounding. For some reason, I always got headaches when I'm scared.

I grabbed Celeste by the hand and lead her into the gym. I grabbed a baseball bat from the supply room and shoved it between the two doors, basically locking it.

"Jane, what do we do now?!" Celeste cried.

"Don't worry, I've got an idea." I said as I grabbed the ladder off the wall. Why does our gym have a ladder on the wall, you may ask? Well, it's probably because of me.

I straightened it up and undid the clasp. I started climbing up to the air vent and motioned for Celeste to follow me. After swinging the air vent open, I pulled myself up into the rickety vents. Celeste looked at me uneasily and paused from where she was on the ladder.

I heard heavy footsteps coming rapidly down the hallway and gasped. Celeste shook her head, clearing all doubt from her face and continued to climb. I helped her up into the vent and she caught her breath.

There was a loud banging noise as the man thrust himself at the gym door. I could see the baseball bat crunching and denting, almost ready to give out.

"This guy just doesn't know how to give up." I muttered as I kicked the ladder down and pulled the grate up. A few seconds later, the doors crashed open and the man bustled in. He was shaking in fury, and I watching him kick the ladder against the wall.

"It won't take him long to figure it out. Run!" Celeste whispered. She followed me through the ventilation system. I knew this design pretty well, even though I was only wandering through it once. I stopped once we were in the hallway of our room and punched the grate. It swung open and I eased myself down until I was only a few feet away from the floor. I dropped and rolled, sticking the landing.