Chapter 3 - The Accident

"MORNING ROOMIE!!!!"

I screamed and tubled off my bed, landing face first on the ground and smashing my nose.

"Sorry! Are you okay?" Celeste asked.

I growled at her and sat up, letting the blood drip down into my agape mouth.

"Oh my gosh! I am SOOO sorry! I'll call the nurse-"

"No! Just...leave it." I said sternly. Celeste nodded and sat down on the edge of her bed. She was wearing a striped yellow tshirt and a blue jumper. Oh my god. How humiliating.

"Hurry up! Class starts in 10 minutes! We don't want to be late, do we?"

"You know what? I'll meet you there. You don't want to be late on your first day, do you?" I played along groggily.

"You're right. But you shouldn't be late either! Hurry up and I'll meet you in class." Celeste said as she ran out the door.

I laughed to myself at how easy that was. I crawled back into bed and looked up at the ceiling. I was now, unfortunately, wide awake.

"Bored, bored, bored..."

I quickly got ready and headed out the door. Most people are thinking that I'm going to class right now.

Ha. That's never the case.

***

I crawled forward slowly. The vents in this place were a lot smaller than what I was used to.

Ya...It's kind of a long story.

Anyway, I made my way through the complicated system, looking down through the grates at the classrooms below. Finally, I caught sight of Dean sitting right under the vent in the English room. How perfect was that?

It was about 4 feet away. I just had to crawl a little more...

Suddenly, the vent below me swung open, revealing the gym. I screamed and grabbed ahold of the grate. I swung back and forth, scrambling to pull my weight up. But it was no use. I have no upper body strength what so ever.

I looked down at the wide eyed students below me. God. What are they staring at? Oh right. I'm dangling above their PE class.

Oh crap. The gym has extremely high ceilings.

Of course. I'm screwed.

I heard the gasps of the girls and the stupid comments from the guys. The teacher was hysterical.

Finally, I couldn't hang on any longer. I closed my eyes as my fingers slipped and I began to fall. The air rushed around me before everything went black.

***

Aaron's POV

I dribbled the basketball and made a quick shot, getting it in the hoop easily.

"Mr. Mandler, that was an amazing shot. Have you ever considered trying out for the basketball team?" Mr. Gates asked. It was PE and Mr. Gates was the coach of everything. Basketball, football, soccer, even volleyball. This is probably the 5th time he's asked me to join his basketball team this month.

"I don't know, Mr. Gates. I'll consider it." I said. Which was true. I've been captain of the basketball team since freshman year, but maybe it would be nice to let another kid get the chance.

"Hope you do. You've always been our best player."

I smiled politely and put the basketball down. I don't appreciate pressure.

Suddenly, a loud crashing noise came from above and everyone's eyes shot up to the ceiling. A vent had swung open, but that wasn't all. New girl was swinging back and forth, her fingers gripping the metal grate for her life. I probably would've laughed if it hadn't been a serious situation.

"Oh my god! Where did she come from? What do I do? It wasn't in the job description to save kids from falling out of an air vent! What do I do?! WHAT DO I DO?!" Mr. Gates cried.

The girls stared up at the girl in shock, while the jocks made side comments to each other about how hot she was. Brainless, I kid you not.

I heard th girl let out a quick gasp before her fingers slipped and she dropped. Nobody else moved a muscle, so I dove under the vent. She landed hard in my arms, but I stood still. Her head fell limply against my chest.

Without a word, I walked out of the gym. I made my way down the hall and lied the girl onto the bed in the medical room. The nurse asked me a few quick questions about what happened before assuring me that she'd be fine.

Without another word, I left the medical room and the new girl, Jane.

As soon as I did though, I felt a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. Was it? No, it couldn't be.

Was it worry?