Chapter 24 - Unexpected Guest

I slammed the truck hood shut and stormed into the trailer, going immediately to the washroom. The cut on my arm was bleeding badly, and I wanted to come in before fixing the truck, but my dad wouldn't let me in until the job was done. No matter what.

As soon as I opened the door to the bathroom, I saw a figure standing at the sink. They screamed and I quickly shut the door, pressing my back against it while I waited for them to finish. He was going to kill me...

Wait a minute. That was a girl scream.

I opened the door again and stared at the girl in front of me. She looked a bit younger than me-probably around 13 or 14-with long, dirty blonde hair. She had light blue eyes and was about my height. She wore punk sort of clothing, like paint splattered jeans that had splashes of every colour in the rainbow, and a loose striped shirt with converse hightops on her feet. She crossed her arms and looked at me expectantly, chewing on a piece of gum. Holy crap she looked like a blonde version of me.

"Who are you...?" I asked.

The girl opened her mouth to reply, but I heard my father's voice instead, "That's Demetria. She's your cousin."

I spun around to face him and he looked from my shorts, to my bikini top, to my arm, "Why are you all bloody?"

"I told you while you were demanding me to fix your stupid truck. Why is my cousin here? Why have I never heard of her?"

"She's your aunt Addy's daughter." my dad said simply.

I nodded in understanding. Aunt Addy was a strange woman, whom my father hated.

"She passed away a couple weeks ago. Smoking." he continued, "And apparently I now have custody."

"So, wait, she's been here this entire time? Why haven't I seen her? It's not exactly a large trailer."

"I've been sitting with the driver. Uncle wants nothing to do with me." Demetria piped in.

"How unfortunate for you. I know exactly how you feel, since my own father won't even let me inside when I am possibly dying of blood loss." I said as I motioned to my bloody arm. Nick had gotten me good, and I was lucky it wasn't my neck.

"Here," Demetria said as she lead me to a suitcase. She took out a white tshirt and tossed it to my good hand, "try this."

I wrapped the shirt around my arm and nodded in thanks. I never really talked to kids much, but I had a feeling that would change.

"She looks just like you, huh kid?" My father told me, pointing to Demetria.

"She does."

"Now I have to look at two faces of your mother. Wonderful." he grumbled as he walked away.

"I look nothing like my mother, but it would be better than looking like you!" I cried as he walked away. He didn't even turn around.

"I would trade him for the green goblin in a heartbeat." Demetria muttered. I laughed, realizing she said my father was worse than the villain in Spiderman.

"I don't know about my daddy, but I'm starting to like you."

***

When we finally arrived in Texas, where the record label was, Demetria and I became allies. Not sisters, not friends, but family. We bickered quite a bit, but we also shared a lot of laughs together.

As the driver-who has no name according to my memory-stopped in front of the building and we all piled out. My dad almost made Demetria wait in the trailer, but I used a little thing I like to call blackmail.