Chapter 32 - Prom (2)

I sighed as I walked through the hallway. Where is Paris? I couldn't find her anywhere.

I ended up making my way back to the gym, and found Aaron right as Chad walked up onto the stage. Aaron put his arm around my waist stiffly as everyone turned their eyes towards the stage.

"Good evening, South California Academy. This is Chad speaking. It's time to announce our Prom King and Queen!" Chad announced. The crowd cheered, but his eyes bore into mine, making me feel queasy.

"Our Prom King is..." Chad said as he opened the envelope, "Me! What a surprise!"

Miss Carters placed the crown on Chad's head. Chad smiled at the crowd, but it looked more like a smirk as he took the other envelope, "And my Queen this year is...Jane Robertson!"

The gymnasium was silent. You could easily hear a pin drop if one fell. I slowly made my way onto the stage, accepting the tiara from Miss Carters. My face was blank and expressionless, not exactly what a Prom Queen is expected to look like.

A slow song began playing, and I glanced at Chad. He held out his arm, and I reluctantly took it as he guided me to the dance floor. Chad and I slowly began dancing, and everyone released the breath they had been holding. I'm guessing they were expecting a huge scene, but I wasn't planning on any of this.

"Where is Paris?" I asked him in a low voice so only he could hear.

"Probably somewhere here." Chad replied.

"Where is she? I know you took her." I spat.

"And why would I kidnap Paris?"

"Because you're a dirty, rotten," I lowered my voice to a harsh whisper, "...vampire."

Chad smiled, "I knew I shouldn't have underestimated you. When did you figure it out?"

"A week after I got here."

"My, my. You are a clever one. Would you happen to know where my textbooks have gone?" Chad asked.

"What make you think I would tell you, Chad? You know i wouldn't tell you if I knew."

"Tricky. So it's Paris you seek? I thought you would be more concerned of the whereabouts of your brother." Chad said as he twirled me around.

"What have you done with Dean?"

"You know I wouldn't tell you if I knew." Chad said, mocking my voice.

"Where is my brother, Chad?" I asked impatiently.

"I'm so sorry, Jane, but I'm afraid I have no choice but to keep it from you. That is, unless you decide to cooperate."

"Chad don't do this! All of these innocent people look up to you, and you're just going to kill them. How could you be so cruel?"

"Isn't your boyfriend a vampire hunter? Shouldn't you already know this?" Chad snarled as he walked towards the stage.

He was going to do it. This was it.

Everything ends now.

I nodded to Aaron, telling him our plan was in action and he nodded in understanding. I ran to the side of the gym and felt along the wall until I found what I was looking for. I quickly broke the glass with my fist and pressed the big red button.

The fire alarms wailed and the sprinklers shot on, causing the crowd of students to vacate the gym. The teachers waited patiently for the students to pass by, and most of them got out too. Only about 50 students and 1 teacher were left inside when the doors suddenly shut and locked.