Chapter 16 - Birthmas

Jane

I was disrupted from my happy dream by a knock at my door. I noticed Celeste didn't even bother waking me up for class, and I smiled as I padded to the door.

I was surprised to see Dean on the other side. He was actually skipping classes, and visiting me. It was weird.

"I thought I'd find you here." he said with a broad smile.

"Ya, good call. What time is it?" I asked with a yawn.

"Quarter after 10. Someone put something outside your door for you." Dean said as he revealed the small box from behind his back. It had a simple red ribbon wrapped around it and the tag had my name on it.

I took it in my hands and motioned for Dean to come inside. We sat on my bed and stared at the box.

"What do you think it is?" he asked.

"It's probably a Birthmas present from dad." I said simply.

"A Whatmas?"

"Oh ya. I forgot that Birthmas isn't a real thing. It usually happens around mid-January. Dad could never really care enough to get me two gifts a year, so he created Birthmas. One gift for my Birthday and Christmas." I explained.

Dean nodded, "Kay, Birthmas. Got it. Now open it!"

"I am! Sheesh! Anxious much?"

I slowly unwrapped the ribbon, just to drive Dean crazy. I guess he was just curious to see what kind of stuff dad bought. Usually, it was nothing special. A twenty dollar bill, a bar of soap, or even just a card is the sort of thing he usually gave me.

When I finally lifted the lid on the box, I gasped. It was a necklace, one that looked quite expensive. It had a long silver chain, and a diamond-filled key dangling from the end. Dean looked as surprised as I was, and I heard him mutter something about 'Daddy's little Princess'. At the bottom of the box, there was a small note. I picked it up and read it to myself, not wanting Dean to hear the bad language my dad sometimes used to describe how he felt about me.

Dear Jane

I overheard what the secretaries were saying about your father, and I just wanted you to know that I'm sorry. I stereotyped you as the flawless popular girl, but you're really not. You've been through what I have. You've seen the dark side that only humans possess. You are a very smart girl. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

-A friend

P.S. I know your secret. You are bright for someone who's never been to school.

I was silent for awhile. It was awkward with Dean staring at me. He waited for an explanation to the note. I took in a slow breath.

"I-it's not from dad." I finally managed to choke out.

"Who's it from then?" He asked.

"I have no clue." I lied. I knew exactly who it was from, I just couldn't believe it.

"Huh. That's strange. Anyways, 4th period is starting. Will I see you in the dining hall for lunch?"

"Um...no. I have to talk to someone. I'll see you later though."

Dean nodded and I watched him leave before standing up immediately. I grabbed a striped off-the-shoulder shirt, some ripped jeans, and a cute fedora hat before rushing to the bathroom. Once I was dressed, I curled my hair and put on some makeup. I was just about to leave when I remembered the small box on my bed. I grabbed the necklace and hooked it around my neck before grabbing my purse and heading out the door.