Chpater 27 - Shouldn't Have Returned

Paris

I packed up my things and headed to my locker. Once I was there, I exchanged my chemistry books for my gym strip, which consists of a blue T shirt and a pair of white shorts that both say SCA in bold letters. I sighed and shut my locker, turning towards the gym.

I kept my head down as I walked, and wasn't too surprised when I bumped into someone.

"Sorry." I said automatically. When I looked up to see who it was, I saw Celeste, the geeky try hard.

"Oh. Um...hi." Celeste said quickly, "Have you heard the news?"

I cocked an eyebrow, "What news?"

"Dean quit the football team. Coach is in hysterics."

"He WHAT?!"

"I know. He seems sad lately, and probably thought it was the best thing." Celeste sighed.

I shook my head, too angry to remember to say goodbye. I marched to the gym and changed faster than I thought was humanly possible.

I sat outside the guys locker room, leaning on the wall and waited. A few minutes later, Dean slowly made his way out, followed by a couple of his goons. I stopped him immediately, grabbing the back of his shirt and yanking him back.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I cried.

"What are you talking about, Paris?" he asked lazily. I glared at him, completely aware of the goons watching us intently.

"You quit the football team?! Why on earth would you do that?"

"I don't need football. What did I think it was going to accomplish? It's not even that fun anyway..."

I few more people from our class stopped to watch the banter, but I kept my eyes glued on the depressed teen.

"This is because of Jane, isn't it?"

"No...maybe...possibly..."

"I knew it! Dean, you have to forget about it! She's not coming back!"

"Exactly. So what's the point?" he asked as he turned away.

"Dean Robertson don't you walk away from me! You are going to rejoin that team, and you are going to move on with your life. Don't you want what's best for your sister?"

"Of course, but-"

"No buts! Jane would've done the exact same thing I am doing if she were here!"

"I guess. It's just-"

We were interrupted by Coach's booming voice, "Robertson! Seems you've weaseled your way back into my class."

Dean sighed, "I've been here for years, Coach Gates-" Dean began as he turned around. He stopped short when he saw the figure that emerged from behind a crowd of girls.

***

Dean

"Jane?!" Paris and I cried at exactly the same time.

I saw her smile brightly as she ran to me. Jane jumped up on me, wrapping her legs around my chest and squeezing me tightly.

"You didn't really think you could get rid of me THAT easily, did you?" she whispered in my ear.

"'Course not." I lied. I hadn't expected to see her again; not for a long time.

"Impressive jump, Robertson. Let's see if you can show that much spirit in DODGE BALL!!" Coach screamed, "Junior VS Senior, who's the better Robertson?"

Jane laughed and hopped off me, making her way over to the other side of the gym.

Jane definitely had the upper hand while choosing her team mates, although she chose the textaholic girls and the nerds who were usually always chosen last. I was surprised by her choices, but never judged them.

"Guess what?" I asked from across the gym.

"What?" Jane teased.

"Because you're my sister, I'll take it easy on you and your hopeless team. As a 'welcome back' present."

"Thanks, but no thanks. My team will kick your cocky ass so far, YOU are going to need a 'welcome home' present when you get back."

I grinned as Coach Gates blew his whistle and the game began.

***

Jane

 "I can't believe you beat me." Dean muttered as he and I walked back to the student lounge.

"When nerds are picked first, they put up a fight." I said nonchalantly.

Dean just shook his head in disbelief. I swung the door of the lounge open and plopped down on one of the leather seats.

Dean suddenly became stiff, and glared at something just over my head.

"I should go. I'll see you later." he said through clenched teeth.

I raised an eyebrow as I nodded and watched him go, before immediately spinning around in my chair.

My eyes widened and I jumped off the chair, running into the strong arms of Aaron Mandler.

"I have no idea why but I missed you!" I cried.

"Jane? What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I came back, of course. What else would I be doing here?"

"It's still not safe for you. Chad hasn't mysteriously left town or anything. He probably still wants to hunt you down. You can't be here!"

"But I am. Nobody tells Jane Robertson what to do. Especially not my dad."

"Why did you come back?" Aaron asked in barely a whisper.

"Well, I was in Texas, when-" I stopped talking immediately and began watching a boy I had only seen once before.

"When what? What are you staring-"

"Aaron, that guy has been staring at me since I got to the lounge." I whispered.

Aaron subtly turned around to see the man I was talking about. He quickly turned back and nodded once, "I've seen him around here before."

"Aaron, that's one of the vampires from the party." I told him. I looked around and noticed that there were only two other people in the lounge besides the three of us. I watched helplessly as the two other people went up to the rooms, leaving the man, Aaron, and I.

I took a deep breath and walked towards the door calmly. In a flash, the man was not only blocking my path, but was also holding onto my neck tightly.

"Where are you going in such a hurry, gorgeous?"