Chapter 25 - New Hope

A month has passed since the record deal had come up. Although, I had decided long ago that I wasn't going to accept.

My dad refused to let me leave Texas until I accepted the offer. If he wasn't going to become famous, he would live his fame through me.

Little did he know that I had made my mind up already, and in fact mentioned this to the producer. He seemed disappointed, but was kind. The life of fame just wasn't my thing.

I strolled down the street, wearing nothing but shorts and a tank top. My feet wear covered with cowboy boots, but my hair was around my shoulders like how I liked it. I missed California more than ever now. I had to get out of here. But how?

I kept my head straight as I sauntered lazily down the street. I could feel the stares I was getting from many people, but I brushed them off. It was most likely the teeth-shaped scar on my left arm. It was a red mark that looked the same as when I received it.

I sighed and looked at my phone. Today was the stupid talent show that Dean wanted me to preform at.

"Stop thinking about that." I scolded myself under my breath. I got more weird looks from passersby and smiled awkwardly.

I suddenly saw the familiar truck pulling my dad's band trailer coming up the street. My eyes widened. They found me.

I ducked into the first shop I saw and watched as the trailer drove right past it. I looked around and found myself in an old antique shop.

I sighed and walked up to the counter, where I saw a picture of a dog.

"Hello there." a gruff voice greeted.

I looked up and saw a man with brown hair and a scruffy face. His eyes were dark brown and seemed vaguely familiar.

"Hi. I was just looking at this picture. I used to have a dog that looked just like this one." I said.

"Black lab. Best dog I ever had." the man said. I saw him looking at my shirt or something and looked down at what he could possibly be staring at.

"Sorry, it's just that necklace," he said, "I've seen it before."

"Oh. Well, my friend gave this to me." I said.

"It looks just like the one my Aaron has." He said with a shrug.

"Aaron? Aaron Mandler?" I asked.

"Yeah, you know 'im?" he asked

"Yes he-he was the one who gave it to me."

"Ah, so you're the one he's been talkin' 'bout. I'm his uncle. I raised him like my own son when my sister's husband left. He's a good kid."

"Ya, he is." I murmured, looking down at the key that hung around my neck.

"Let me ask you somethin' missy." he said as he leaned in close, "Do you believe in vampires?" he whispered.

"Yes. I do." I told him honestly. He studied me for a minute, looking from the necklace, then up to my face. His head cocked to the side as if he was deciding what to make of me.

The man smiled and motioned for me to follow him.

He lead me into the back room, where an old couch and coffee table stood. The space was dusty and smelled of cigarettes. On the wall was a locked vault.

Aaron's uncle turned the lock until a click echoed through it. He swung it open and I was surprised to see only a box inside. It was about the same size as a shoebox, and was made of a dark wood. The man took the box out and handed it to me, before closing the vault and leading me out of the room.