Chapter 26 - The Escape

Bianca

I walked outside my room this morning feeling happy. Today was April 1st, and Paris and I had a lot to do in one day.

But before I could take a single step, I noticed something at my feet. It was a single red rose.

I picked it up and smiled to myself. It was beautiful, looking more like one of the fake roses on a magazine than something I was holding in real life.

I bit my lip, trying to hide the smile on my face. I wonder who sent it...

***

Jane

It was 5am, April 1st. My dad and his friends would NEVER be up at this hour. Now was my only chance.

I slowly took my suitcase off the shelf and tip toed past my father to get to the bathroom. Once in there, I closed the door behind me and turned on my phone as a less noticeable light source. As quickly as I could, I made sure all of my possessions were there before folding all of my clothes. When everything fit, I placed the locked wooden box on top and zipped the suitcase up.

I wore a black hoodie, a black toque (beanie in America), a pair of jean short shorts, and my cowboy boots. I quickly slipped my phone into my boot and tucked my necklace into my shirt, before opening the bathroom door.

I almost screamed, but quickly caught myself. Demetria stood right outside the bathroom door, arms crossed in front of her chest.

"What?" I whispered.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"I have to get back to California. My friends are in trouble."

"Not even going to ask," Demetria sighed, "How do you think you're going to get there?"

"I'll walk if I have to. I just know I need to get out of here." I told her.

"If you can wait like, 5 minutes, I know a way." she said.

I cocked an eyebrow, but realized she couldn't see it, so whispered an "Alright" before slipping out the trailer door.

I rested my back on the side of the trailer so the driver wouldn't see me. Was this really the right thing? Was I making the right decision?

My thoughts went back to that day in Arizona, when I was attacked by those two vampires. Their horrible faces, with mouths wide and fangs protruding from their gums. Nick's eyes that had gone a complete red, even the whites.

The sound of the trailer door clicking closed snapped me out of my reverie and I looked at Demetria. She was wearing jean capri's and a black tank top with her black converse. She had her suitcase at her feet, and the rising sun illuminated a perfect smile.

"So...what's your plan?" I asked.

"I'll show you. It's not too far from here."

***

"Two tickets to LA please." Demetria said sweetly. I stared at my determined cousin with pride. How had I not thought of the bus station?

"That will be 175 dollars." The ticket guy said lazily. I handed the man the money and he passed us the tickets.

"I didn't know you were going to LA too." I said as Demetria and I made our way to the bus.

"I'm not. The bus takes a break in Phoenix, which is where my grandparents live. Anywhere is better than with uncle." she said.

"Makes sense." I said as we boarded the bus. We found our seats and sat down. A few minutes later, we were moving.

As I stared out the window at the blurring buildings, my eyes began to droop.

And before I knew it, I was asleep.

***

When my eyes slowly opened, I saw a sunny day and palm trees. Los Angeles.

I rubbed my cheek, which had been squished against the window for who knows how many hours. My eyes fell on the empty seat beside me. I hadn't even said goodbye...

I noticed a small piece of paper on the arm rest and unfolded it, seeing the messy script of Demetria.

I didn't want to wake you, even though you've been sleeping nearly 20 hours. The bus station in LA is about 5 blocks from your school. I looked into it.

You are the only cousin I have ever known, and have been like a sister to me when I was down. So, thanks.

-Demetria

I slipped the paper into my pocket just as the bus turned in to the bus station. Everyone got off and I followed the crowd out to the sidewalk. I looked left and right, finding a familiar restaurant across the street. Which way?

I smiled, took a deep breath, and followed my gut as I turned left.

Demetria was exactly right. 5 blocks later, I found myself in front of South California Academy. I ran, dragging my suitcase behind me, to the main door. I tore them open, hearing the banging sound as the glass doors hit the windows.

I smiled wickedly, "I'm back, bitches!"

________________________________________________________________________________

Short chapter, but VERY fast upload. I have been thinking about this chapter for months now. TEEHEE!

Dramatic entrances are the funnest to come up with, in my opinion.

BTW, i know the beginning is kind of random, but i needed to put it somewhere, so WHY NOT NOW?! XD

Thank you SO much for reading!

I hope you liked it!

-Ally