Chapter 24 - Anxious Heart

Chapter 24 – Anxious Heart

I walked to Enprix's house. The police are already taking the yellow line off. They are getting ready to leave and to make matters worse; they were leaving it as it is. I jog to the police man who was taking off the police line.

"Sir, what happened here?" I asked

"There's a huge bloodshed in this house and it came from one person. He's in the hospital along with his son." I was following him as he rolls the line into his hand.

"We don't have the tools to track down those people. So we're leaving this to the people who lives here to find out who the culprit is. Even if we get DNA, how many people are there in this city alone? We don't have the database of every person here. There's no point. We don't have a lead."

How cold. He told me this as if I didn't know who owns this house. If I were Enprix, I would have killed this guy right now.

"That's it? You're just gonna leave?" I asked, hatred was building up in my chest.

I hate these kinds of people. They don't do a thing to make the whole world a little bit better place to leave in.

He finished packing the line. They were the only policemen left in the crime scene. All the others left earlier.

I clenched my hand into a fist. I activate my bio-enhancer. All of my strength is gathered into my right fist. If I press a blow into this guy's face, I'm sure he'll fly into the car and destroy it and still leave a crater on the ground where he lands. I'm sure some trees will go down along with him.

"I'm leaving. Go home, kid." Then he walked to the patrol car.

If he said any more words, I'm sure he wouldn't be recognized by anyone after he's dead.

He opens the door, sits down and leaves. Just like that, the possibility of getting this case down has gone down to zero.

I relax myself. I look down on the ground and ponder.

How is Enprix gonna react to this when he hears that his father's death can't be solved? It was ridiculous. My right hand was shaking due to all the anger kept inside of me. I pressed a blow on the ground.

The ground shook and I left a wide crater under me. No one can see me; I'm surrounded by the forest. So I had no worries about the crater. I breathe my remaining anger away. Dirt covered my knuckles so I brushed it off with my hands. There's some blood and abrasions on it. So it was the bio-enhancer plus my strength, that's why I left a crater and damaged my hand.

Something from the corner of my eyes was moving. It was Amryx, Luxian, Dihex and Senyxe. I wonder how they became many.

"What happened?"

Face down, I talked

"They didn't go on with the investigation. They said they don't have the proper materials to find the culprit. They didn't know who to find or who to suspect."

Everyone became quiet.

The silence between us was deafening.

"Let's just clean up the mess in his house. We can't just leave it like that." Said Senyxe.

I wasn't paying much attention. I was frustrated. I can't believe what just happened. An investigation stopped because of lack of funds to buy and collect materials used to track and hunt down criminals. It's such a pathetic excuse. What kind of country is this?

They already went inside but I was still pondering. I can't handle the truth.

I remembered the bag. I made its appearance exist. It contained a wireless earphone. I put wore it and hid the bag with its existence. I looked at the watch. The red LED bulb lit up, telling me that manipulation was occurring. The earphone, however, responded. There was a heartbeat. And I looked at my watch. Every time there was a bleep on the watch, the earphone responded with a weak heartbeat.

"So this is the thing Lev was telling me about." I mumbled to myself

I smiled a little. But his gadgets was enough to depress me.

I had nothing to do. So I eventually went inside. I didn't notice that they brought mops and rags. They were already cleaning. With a bucket in the middle filled with blood who was allegedly Enprix's father, they clean. I walk slowly with a dim atmosphere. I find a spot where I can lean on and contemplate on the episode.

I close my eyes. Suddenly, the door opened. Enprix came into the scene. He was still in his uniform, which was blotted with some blood.

He looked at us and took out his cellphone. He pressed some buttons and an artificial voice said the time.

"It's late. Why are you, guys, here?" he said

He was in his arrogant state again. I didn't mind that.

"We came to help you." I quickly said

He looked glum and went outside. We all looked at each other. Did our visit make everything worse for him?

"Comfort him. Amryx. You go." I commanded

She looked at me and went outside.

"What are your plans for tonight?" I looked at Dihex and Luxian.

"We're supposed to clean everything here, if we can't I'll have some of my men do it tonight. I can't let Enprix see other people who aren't close to him. He might freak out." Dihex stated

"He's been through a lot. He just got beaten up and now this." Senyxe added.

"We'll take him to my place and we'll all sleep there for tonight"

That is just depressing. To be taken into the hands of your friends, his state is serious. He's pitiful.

Suddenly, door opened and Amryx went inside. Enprix stayed in front of the door and looked at us.

I looked at them. Luxian's mouth opened.

"Enprix, we no-" he was cut short.

Still face down, he said

"Don't pity me. I can handle myself. I'm tired today. I just got beaten up and now my father's dead. I don't know how worse my life can get."

Everyone was looking at him. He walked to a corner and sat down and leaned on it.

He closed his eyes. I think he was trying to sleep.

Everybody continued their business.

Then the earphone rang in my ear. It was loud. I looked at everyone. It looks like no one noticed.

I looked at Enprix. He was looking at me.

The Heartbeat can be heard by 2nd and 3rd class non-existents.

With that in mind, I asked.

"You… heard that?"