Chapter 10 - A Son's Demise

I'm sitting in the waiting room. Anxious about the condition of my father, I sat down and waited. It seemed like eternity.

My hands tied together with my elbows resting on my thighs. It was a like a trance. Just a little while ago, my father was crucified and now, he's dying. He's most probably dead; I'm just waiting for their confirmation. I just can't believe my father died that easily. Moreover, death by crucifixion? Is my dad Christ? Why would you crucify my dad?

With revenge clearly stated in my mind, I think of who they actually are.

"Ravens…" I mumbled

I look at my blood-stained hands. I make a fist out of them and let out some of my anger by piercing my nails on my palm. I imagine what I'd do when I see them. I gotta do my research about these "Ravens".

Suddenly, I thought of the boys earlier outside the canteen. The guys who I saved Senyxe from, they may be the culprit. I'll kill them all. No matter what happens. I'll make sure that when they meet me, they'll be specks of dust, blown away by the wind.

A doctor walked towards me.

"Are you Enprix?" questioned the doctor

"Yes, I am." I answered confidently.

"I'm sorry but your father is dead." Stated the doctor

I already knew that. But why are there tears welling up in my eyes? Why did the doctor's words sound so bad? Is it because the last column of hope of my father living has collapsed?

My heart is racing. My father is dead. What is to become of me? Who would I be? I can no longer be a son. I can no longer call anyone "dad". No one to say goodbye to when I leave the house. No one to wake me up when I'm late. No one to scold me when I'm wrong. No one to check on me if I'm asleep. My house can never be the same.

My dad's dream was to see me graduate. He lied to me. I just hate everything that's happening right now. Why my dad? What does he have to do with your sacrifices?

My heart rages on. Mindblown and wrecked, I have no hope. Slowly…

"Can I see my father, just one last time?" I croaked. My voice was hoarse.

Then the doctor turned his back and guided me to the room where my father is kept.

He stood by the door and showed me the room. Through the window, I saw my dad lying down. There weren't any more tubes, the interns already removed them.

"Your dad died from heart failure. Not from the wounds that he received on his arm, hand or foot. Those are superficial. You can't die from those easily. Other than the nail wounds, there weren't any trace of bruises or internal bleeding. He might have been hanging on your wall for quite some time before he died." The doctor explained

I imagined what he said, the pain of seeing my father hanging on that wall struggling to get off, while experiencing excruciating pain from the nails and the gravity pulling him down. My heart was bashing against my ribcage. I hate those Ravens. I will kill every single one of their member. My father's life is not something to be played with.

I slowly opened the door. Some of the interns looked at me. They all formed a line beside the door and bowed their heads down. It's their subliminal way of saying "Condolence".

I walked to his body. I pulled out his pendant. I looked at it. Blood-soaked and dirty. I gripped the necklace tightly.

I turned back.

"Can you please leave us for a moment?" I requested the interns

And they all went out the room. Leaving me and my father inside.

I gripped the necklace so tightly. It felt like as if it was gonna bend. And it was pure gold with a crystal on it, just like mine.

I touched his body. It was cold. My heart skipped a beat. My father is really dead. I closed my eyes. And thought of our happy moments together. My mom left me when I was four. All I could do was make him a little more proud of me every day. I gathered our memories. And a tear rolled down my cheek and unto the mattress.

Before I knew it, I was already in tears. I can't stop my tears. My heart keeps pumping and I can't stop the pain from the fact that he left me here for good. It hurts to see his face like that, all peaceful and innocent. The pain from his death, it consumes me like a monster.

I can't stop thinking of avenging my father. I touched his chest. Trying to look for any last hope of him living. I tried to look for a heartbeat. There were none. I felt if there was a pulse, there is none too. I was desperate. After doing everything I know on how to detect if a person is alive, I gave up. But for the last time, I check for a heartbeat.

Out of nowhere, I felt a small thump.