Chapter 11 - A beat?

Chapter 11 – A beat?

I was so shocked. I looked at my father intently. Did I just feel his heartbeat?

I checked for his heart. I put my head closer to his chest to hear his heartbeat better if there was. I closed my eyes and focused. Am I hearing a sound?

"This death is for our cause"

I remembered this line from the paper. Are you sure they killed him? I pulled out the paper from my pocket. I looked at it intently. I tried to remember if I know anyone who has the same handwriting. I closed my eyes and looked at the library I filed inside my head. There wasn't anyone. I don't remember anyone who had this kind of writing. I lost hope on that part.

I heard a beat again. This time, I wasn't near my dad. His heartbeat can't be that strong, enough to be heard by my ears. But I'm so sure that it was a heartbeat. I checked on my father's pulse, looking for clues if he's alive.

Another beat. I looked around me. Is someone playing tricks on me? It must be my imagination. I give in to my sadness and go out the door. I look at the doctor and I leave. The pendant is held tightly in my hands.

I storm my way out of the building and go to my motor. I went home as fast as I could. I opened the door and found some of my classmates. I grab my cell and dial 117.

"8 hours, 22 minutes and 41 seconds. Nighttime."

"It's late. Why are you, guys, here?" I groaned.

There were 5 of them, Amryx, Senyxe, Luxian, Dihex and Genesis.

"We came to help you." Snapped Genesis

Then I just looked down. I can't stop my tears, even up to now. My hair covered my eyes and I just turned back.

I went outside and slammed the door, hard. Our house is a little away from the community. We don't have neighbors to begin with. Our house is standing on soil. There are no pavements in front of it. And there's a forest at the back. But the house is accessible to all vehicles, obviously the ambulance and police cars were able to enter awhile ago, and the forest path has different trails set up by campers around the area.

The area behind the house is wide. A clearing, I presume. There's a huge hollow log sitting beside the trees at the corner of the clearing. That was my simple sanctuary when I want to escape society. I look at my surroundings. It's all gloomy and dark, feeding the hollow feeling that I have in my heart.

I make my way to my seat, my so-called sanctuary. I sit down and calm myself. I can't be like this. I can't cry anymore. I shouldn't. I must make myself a man. I wiped some of my tears.

I heard the door open. They must've sent someone to comfort me. I cover my face with my hands and breathed deeply. I stood up and look at the person who went to comfort me. And there I saw, Amryx.

"Come inside." Said the Goddess.

Without a sound, I followed her.

She opened the door and let me in first. I stood at the door and she went to the group. All of them looked at me.

"Enprix, we're no-"

"Don't pity me." I said, face down and miserable. "I can handle myself. I'm tired today. I just got beaten up and now my father's dead. I don't know how worse my life can get."

I sat down and leaned my head on the wall. I closed my weary eyes. And gave myself to the world.

As I were to enter the sanctuary in my head. A loud heartbeat thumped in my ears.