Chapter 22 - Ruined

Chapter 22 – Ruined

My guess was right. Enprix got called. But without even looking at the teacher, he answered the question. I'm sure that he wasn't paying attention awhile ago. Oh well, he might have been paying attention.

"Mr. Lockheart was trying to embarrass him, right?" said a voice from my side.

It was Amryx again, talking to me.

"Yes, obviously, Enprix was listening a bit and remembered some of his questions."

"Aigoo." She sighed.

"You really like him, don't you?" I asked teasingly

"No, I don't!" she whispered loudly but not enough to be heard by the teacher.

Then we continued like this for some time but then stopped when we ran out of topics.

We didn't even notice that it's already our vacant period.

I stood up and walked outside of the classroom. I leaned my body on the elevated stone fence of the corridor. I looked down at the ground.

Some students might be scared of this height but this isn't a problem for me. I'm an enhanced being. I can withstand pretty much anything.

I think of my dad.

Death is the prize of anyone crazy enough to think that they're the best. You can aim for the best but you can never be the one.

I remember what he told me when he departed for the frontier to defend the fort that we used to occupy when he was alive. He died at that place, more of forcibly erased, actually. More than 30,000 people came to the front line, thinking that they'll win with their newly developed prototype. They encountered Chaos and only a few of them survived. In the blink of an eye, everyone there turned to dust.

I was depressed of the thought. My heart of steel wasn't gonna give in. I lost more than myself during the stand. I lost my family and friends. I lost everything that I value. I hate Chaos.

I'm hungry.

That thought popped up into my mind. I had to feed myself too if I want to survive. Because I used my bio-enhancer, my body used more energy than it's supposed to. But it doesn't affect anything else, unless I command my brain to tell the enhancer to do so.

I go inside the classroom and look at everyone in class. Nobody seems to notice me, is it because they're scared or did I lower my existence too much?

I saw Amryx in a corner, taking out her lunch. Like an eagle that spotted its prey, I swiftly go to her side. I sit down right beside her and look at her.

"Why do you have that look on your face?" she asked, startled by my sudden behavior.

"I think you pretty much know what I want." And I looked at her lunchbox.

She raised her eyebrows.

She looked at what I was looking, and then a sly grin went up her face.

This isn't good. She's gonna make me do something for her again.

I looked at her. Her face is the "face" that can make a boy question even his manliness.

"You want to eat with me?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"Okay, let's eat rice."

I smiled. It looks like I'm gonna be saved for today. I forgot to make my own food.

She takes off the cloth covering her lunch and opens the lid.

And to my surprise, a vast land of white material was laid in front of me. There wasn't anything else. Only the whiteness of snow was in front of me.

"Is this your lunch?" I asked, baffled by the snowy material.

"Yes, why?"

Then I remembered something awhile ago.

"Okay, let's eat RICE."

The word rice came out of nowhere and it hit me right in the face.

I got some of her RICE and put it into my mouth. I chewed on the food slowly. The thing melted into my mouth. It tastes like rice, nothing more, nothing less.

I stopped eating. I feel like I'm gonna get hungrier if I eat more. I just sat beside her and looked at the class. I want my people see these kinds of things. But the thing is, I can't. The electricity required to do such is too much and the fact that my existence here is already unstable, can be the cause of their deaths. Bringing more than a hundred people who shouldn't exist in this time frame is dangerous.

Suddenly, the door burst open. Senyxe was heaving. But she was speaking, barely.

"Please!" she gasped "Help Enprix, he's in trouble!"

Luxian stood up.

"Where is he?" he said

"He's in front of the canteen. He's being beaten up by those students."

Out of nowhere, Amryx dashed downstairs. Her lunch fell on the ground.

Luxian and Dihex helped Senyxe sit down on a chair and calm down. The others were doing their businesses as if nothing was happening. They didn't even look at Senyxe.

How pathetic. That's why so many people die alone these days. It's because of these people who don't give a damn that's why nothing's getting better. They don't know how to stand up for something that's close to them. They don't do something even though they can.

I walked out of the classroom. I try to release the burning feeling in my heart by breathing in and out. I go to the canteen to check up on them. Luxian and Dihex decided to take Senyxe into the clinic so she'll be treated if ever she had anything going on within her body.

I reached the canteen. I saw Amryx and Enprix talking. They were chatting as if they were buddies.

Amryx suddenly walks and Enprix follows him. Where are they going?

I jog to reach them.

Unexpectedly, Enprix goes down. He fainted.